Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Chocolate Chili

.

You know, if I'd been thinking about it, I could have made this for the most recent IMBB. Oh, well...

Moving on to Moosewood Celebrates!, for dinner tonight: Black Bean and Chocolate Chili.



Onions and garlic sauteed in oil till translucent (is it just me, or does that step always seem to take forever?), add celery and chili (sliced and diced)..except I discovered we didn't have a chili...so I used chili powder.
Throw in a load of spices (cumin, coriander, clove, cinnamon, oregano),



then black beans, crushed tomatoes in juice, lemon juice and soy sauce.

Simmer, and then add the best ingredient: semi-sweet chocolate chips!

Oh, dear heaven.

This may be the best chili I've had in years (ok, my Grammy's is still my favorite; I just can't eat it these days...what with the beef in it, and all). Thick, but not too thick. Warm. Can a dish taste warm? This one did. Very filling...and so smooth. The chocolate was there, but it didn't overwhelm the dish.
Just incredible.



Add some rapidly prepared, yet tasty, corn muffins, and you've got a wonderful cold-weather meal.

3 Thoughts for food:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

You sure are getting good use out of that cookbook! Everything sounds so good!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, I don't mind sauteing onions; I just love the sweet, lovely aroma of cooking onions. As for chopping onions, that's another story altogether.

Julia
www.aromacookery.com

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Stephanie, this is just one in a series of Moosewood collection, but they're all pretty wonderful. If only I ate mushrooms and eggplant and zucchini; I'd be using Every recipe!

Nicole, I think bittersweet would have worked just as well. One of my favorite mole's uses chocolate, and it is to die for. It also takes about two days to make!

Julia, my Mom just told me Sunday that her instructors told her that a *very* sharp knife will keep the tears away, since you're not squirting onion juice all over!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker