Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I'll Never Be a Pastry Chef

.

Today was my in-law's 42nd wedding anniversary. To celebrate, I decided to make them something spectacular (as Matt said when arrived at their house "if you didn't know I was bringing something like this, you haven't been paying attention").

After some searching, I decided on a sixteen-layer chocolate cake.

I will never be comfortable with this sort of recipe...the genoise had me extremely tense. So much so, that after my dissatisfaction with one layer, I declared the cake would now be an 8-layer, and not sixteen...

With that out of the way, and accepting that my cake would never look like Chef Puck's, I made the mousse and ganache.

For a little extra 'oomph', I decorated with chocolate-covered coffee beans.



While it didn't look perfect, it was a success. My MIL said it's her favorite, of everything I've ever made!

So, even though I'll never go pro, I can still make people happy. And after all, isn't that what it's all about?

3 Thoughts for food:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Matt and I don't like coffee-flavored things, so we didn't keep any. But my in-laws Loved it; somehow they managed to work through the lemon tart with frozen lime cream I'd made last weekend and are planning to eat the layer cake through Next week!

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the chocolate cake looks really rich! It already looks pretty thick; can't imagine how tall it'd be if there are 16 layers! Are there really 16 layers? Anyway, it was really neat of you to make a cake for your in-laws. :)

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It was, indeed, supposed to be sixteen layers. Four cookie sheets of genoise, cut in half, plus the eight layers of mousse. But the smaller size was ideal for just the two of them (almost sounds like I planned it, doesn't it?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker