Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Oh, Brother; it's Bread!

.

I've always been a little...well, tense...when it comes to yeast. In this house, Matt makes the most of the bread. But I've been working on my 'fear'. Trying more yeast recipes.

Last week, I caught an episode of Sara's Secrets on Food TV: her guest was Brother Rick Curry, who had written the cookbook "The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking". The first thing they made was ' Brother's Bread'. And boy, did it look good!

So, just because, I gave it a try.

It was almost deliriously easy to make. Since I started the dough the night before Easter, I went with the slow, in-the-refrigerator, method of rising.
The next morning, after breakfast, I punched down the dough and formed it into loaves.

The interesting part was putting loaves into a cold oven, as well as spritzing them with, not water, but vinegar!

I gotta say, I liked the way they came out, though. Nice, crusty bread, with a very good taste.



This one's a keeper.

4 Thoughts for food:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Gorgeous bread!!

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks. All things considered, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

I can't remember when the last time was I baked bread... Ouh! This looks lovely Stephanie, and tempting, too! Interesting method, with the cold oven...

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Zarah. It really was easy to make, and obviously, the cold oven worked! You get tasty, crusty bread, and save a little on your heating bill!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker