Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Sugar High Friday #11...Coffee

.



It's SHF time again, hosted this month by Ronald of lovesicily (wonderful travel site, by the way...).

Our theme is coffee...this is not good! For Matt and I are most definitely not coffee people. We don't drink it, don't cook or bake with it (if we can help it), and I personally can't tolerate the smell of it. Basically, coffee makes me ill.

But I hate to miss out on a food event, so I plugged my nose and prepared a Pâté Trompé;...for the in-laws!

Lucky me; Matt's parents are big coffee lovers. My FIL roasts and grinds his own beans (well, not beans he's cultivated by hand, but some pretty fancy/pricey ones just the same).

First, I must confess the above photo is not, in fact, the dessert I created. It is the photo of the dessert in the fabulous Cocolat, from which I attempted my own coffee gelée/coffee mousse confection.

Oh, it's not that I don't have a photo showing the results; it's prevailing camera/computer issues holding me up. I won't be able to add my considerably less-professional picture until Tuesday! Bear with me...

First, make a coffee gelée, pouring a small amount into a loaf pan, and the rest into a cake pan. Allow to set. Make the chocolate-coffee mousse. Pour immediately into loaf pan and chill.

To serve, unmold loaf pan onto a platter, scatter cubed coffee gelée around the mousse, and (if you feel up to it) decorate with white chocolate and candied citrus peel.

I took the mousse to the in-law's house Wednesday night, and haven't yet had their review. But, it smelled like coffee, so I'm guessing they liked it!

updated



Here's my attempt...not as pretty, but it took mere days for the in-laws to finish it.






Don't forget to send your Blog Party entries in before next Thursday (18 August)!

5 Thoughts for food:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Joe said...

That sounds so awesome. We really enjoy the Coffee/chocolate combo.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Joe.

I'm sure that, for those who enjoy coffee, this would be heaven in dessert form.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger boo_licious said...

Coffee and chocolate just goes so well together. I'm curious, how does one make coffee gelee?

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I made it using powdered agar, strong coffee, and a bit of sugar. It set beautifully.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Jennifer.

Thankfully, it wasn't too difficult to make. And I was able to rather quickly unload it on my in-laws, so it worked out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker