Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Almost Praline Brownie Pie

.



Cookbooks keep showing up on my doorstep; the latest, The Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005.

I've already marked thirty or more recipes to try, but I just had to give the Praline Brownie Pie first priority!

It's not to complicated, but I at the same time, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the recipe.

It's all done in stages: first, make the pastry dough, which chills an hour. Meanwhile, make a praline topping, then a caramel layer, and finally a chocolate filling.

When the dough's been properly chilled, roll it out and line a tart pan. Spread the chocolate filling onto the crust, then spread the caramel, followed by the praline and some extra chocolate chips.

Ok...the dough? Fine. The filling? Also fine. I took issue first with the praline topping.

I've made praline before; quite a few times, actually. But this method? Well, before the time was up, the praline had burned.

I thought I must have done something wrong, so I asked Matt to give it a go. His also charcoal-ed prematurely. Not so good.

Also, the caramel...while it was gorgeous...well, the recipe simply said to set it aside, until ready to use. When it was time to top the pie with it...well, it had hardened.
The recipe didn't exactly cover that...and I was supposed to 'spread' it over the chocolate filling. Then 'swirl' it.

Not gonna happen.

So...I warmed up the caramel a bit, and sort of 'plopped' it strategically around the pie.

As for the praline topping; I just sprinkled chopped pecans over the top, and sprinkled some brown sugar on that.

Haven't cut into it yet, but it sure looks good!

And as always; recipes available upon request.


(Just a note...my camera is almost officially dead. We've ordered a new one, but it may not arrive for close to a week!!! So, posts may be sparse, and most likely, without photos. Please be patient...)



And don't forget---Blog Party #2, Tiki Party, is just a few days away! Be sure to get your info in by next Thursday, 22 September. You can leave a link in the comments, or email me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com...and I'm looking forward to seeing what you 'bring'!

10 Thoughts for food:

At 3:41 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Whoa - chocolate, caramel, praline....whoaaaaaarrrrrrr!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I thumbed through that magazine at the store the other day - I will definetly have to go back and get it! It looked like quite a few that we would make too!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki...I know!

Dangerous combination.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Joe...I started giving my Mom a subscription to Taste of Home something like eight years ago. And because I do, they're always sending me offers for their books.

I have a decent-sized collection of their cookbooks,though!

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your version looks yummy, stephanie.
I also had problems with caramel topping before, either it turns out too hard or too runny.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Indira!

If the recipe had called for the caramel topping to be added right away, it would have been perfect. As it was written, the caramel had time to harden...and I mean, I could lift it out as a solid disc from the pan!

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger tanvi said...

I concur with Niki- whoaaaaaa! looks yummy!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Tanvi!

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Virgos rule! :p Thanks for the birthday wishes :) I'm going to eat Mickey's ears off first! Ha ha.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yes, Virgo's are cool, calm and collected...which is how we manage to get into positions of power!

You're very welcome, Jeff...I hope you had a fantastic day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker