Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, September 16, 2005

SHF #12-Cooking Up Custard: Dulce de Leche Ice Cream

.



(I'm melting...melting!)

This month's Sugar High Friday, hosted by Elise of Simply Recipes, is all about custard.

Still recovering from a rather nasty flu/cold, I toyed with the idea of skipping SHF this month.
But, no matter how crappy I might feel, I couldn't miss it.

Decision made, I decided not to get too adventurous, and stick with a form of custard I was already familiar with: ice cream.

A recipe in the latest issue of Bon Appetit called for dulce de leche ice cream, but expected you to run to the store for it.

Which, of course, just got me wanting to make my own!

From Emerils.com: here is Homemade Dulce de Leche Ice Cream.

Very rich, and really tastes like dulce de leche.

Also makes a rather soft ice cream...look at it melt!

And Elise has already started with the round-up! Please check it out.



And don't forget---Blog Party #2, Tiki Party, is less than one week away! Be sure to get your info in by next Thursday, 22 September. You can leave a link in the comments, or email me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com

26 Thoughts for food:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Yum! I love making ice cream, but I've never made dulce de leche flavor. Definitely need to try that!

Hope you feel better soon!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Beth!

I love making dulce de leche...and will use it any chance I get.

I think you'll really like it.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Nupur said...

Dulce de leche is my signif's favorite flavor by far...I got to surprise him with this sometime! Looks lovely!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Nupur!

I'm sure your SF will really like it...let me know!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Randi said...

i made ice cream too, or rather ice milk. It was surprisngly good.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm, melty.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Randi...I just didn't have the time (or patience) for anything else!

I happen to really like ice milk, by the way.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Dexygus...yes, really melty!

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Yum! I love homemade ice cream. Never find time to make it lately though!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Joe...I don't make it as often as I should, either.

I love my little machine, but the real issue is finding room in the freezer!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

What a wonderful idea, I've recently become addicted to dulce de leche, so thanks for the recipe.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ruth...you're so welcome!

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger tanvi said...

Oooh I love dulche de leche so I am sure this tastes lovely. Great entry!

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tried dulce de leche in any form -- but I think I'm definitely going to have to start now, and with this recipe! (Did it make you feel better?)

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Tanvi!

I'm very fond of it, as well. But a warning: it's really rich!

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cath, thanks! And do give it a try.

Ack...I've been sick 2 1/2 weeks now, and I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be well again!

btw; Matt had some of the ice cream with some cinnamon sprinkled on...said it was really good.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

Oh that looks so good! And ice cream always helps when you are sick. : )

Unfortunately it sounds like you might have what I had a while ago. It took four weeks to get over it--and I don't usually ever get sick! :( Hope you are feeling better soon. Have another bowl of ice cream. And some chocolate. It has antioxidants! (like we need a reason to eat chocolate): )

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Nic said...

Hehe, I think that something a bit bad for you is often the best medicine for a cold. Feel better, Stephanie!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

farmgirl...I really hope I get over this soon...you won't believe how many boxes of tissues I've run through!

I actually hadn't planned to do more than taste the ice cream; I'm just not wild about overly-sweet things these days.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Nic!

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Cath!

Mmmm...that sounds good.

I'm very much past the coma-in-bed stage; but I can't seem to be able to shake the last of it.

And don't worry; I made Matt buy 2 three-packs of the good tissues!

(I think I ran through all six, too...sigh)

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Mika said...

Dulce de leche ice cream is my favorite flavor when I go to the store to buy ice cream. I will have to make this sometime. Thanks for the recipe link.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mkia...I know you'll like it!

Alex took mere minutes so schlurp down a bowl Sunday afternoon...

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Babe_KL said...

hmmm so creamy, so smooth!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Babe ki...you got that right! Very, very creamy...and very, very rich!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Jennifer!

It was incredibly easy to make...do give it a try!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker