Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

That Wacky Wild...Cake; Polyester Lunch-Lady Style

.



I just needed to bake something. I didn't care what it was, so long as it contained the usual flour, sugar, eggs combo.

I decided to look up my old, but oft-forgotten, friend Gale Gand, and see what she's been up to. I spent a lot of time printing out recipes...mostly for later...but found one just perfect for the moment: Wacky Cake.

The recipe gets it's name, I suppose, from the way it's prepared. Dry ingredients dumped in a bowl. Poke holes in the dry ingredients. Pour into each hole, respectively, vanilla, vegetable oil, and white vinegar.
Top with water, and mix.

Sure, it's a little weird, but hardly 'wacky'.

And a bit disappointing, at least scientifically. I was expecting some kind of reaction, with the vinegar, baking soda, and water. I know what happens when I put the first two into my kitchen sink, and turn on the tap: bubbles!

But this? Nothing.

Oh, well. What I did get was a simple chocolate cake.

When it had cooled enough for a picture (and a taste), I asked Matt what he thought. He wasn't wild about it. He began to explain his objection to the cake, and I interrupted him, saying 'it's like cafeteria cake?'. Matt: 'Exactly!'.

And exactly why he didn't think it was 'oooh'-worthy.

But see; I liked the cake slices divvied out during school lunch. There's something oddly comforting, and retro, about them.

Alex devoured his piece, and he has a rather discriminating palette. He's turned down store-bought cakes and cookies! Smart kid...

I did offer a suggestion to Matt that will ensure the cake's disappearance, though. Wednesday night, he ate two pieces, drizzled with left-over dulce de leche. He thought it much improved!

So, nothing to blog home about, but it did satisfy my craving...to bake!

6 Thoughts for food:

At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing a good dose of chocolate sauce couldn't fix, if you ask me! Hee hee :)

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

That's Funny! It's like this bizaar chocolate cake my friends Mom used to make all the time. It wasn't even really chocolate, I never did figure it out.

BTW- Do you know who is hosting EOTMEOT?

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know what you mean about comforting cakes. i make a chocolate mayonnaise cake all the time, and the reason i like it is because it reminds me of those boxed cake mixes from childhood. moist and fluffy, you know.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeff...sauce, frosting, anything sweet!ktndtbul

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Becky, Moira is doing it this month...it's a Halloween edition!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Dexygus...exactly!

There's just something about them, isn't there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker