Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Happy Birthday, Matt!

.



Monday was Matt's birthday, so of course we had to have our very own party!

Lots of gifts (with Alex on hand to help open them), and a pretty nice dinner.

For Matt, Organic, Pasture-Fed, Lamb Loin Chops (that trip to the butcher shop paid off...he intended to get fillet mignon, but was quickly swayed by the lamb!), seared quickly in a hot, cast iron skillet, and finished in a very hot oven.



To go with, we tried a new recipe, Cream Potato Puffs; it's basically a popover with an herbed mashed potato filling.

Fabulous!

We really liked them, but next time (and there will be a next time) we're going to add some kind of cheese to the potato; it just needed a bit of 'bite'. Still, very good.

There was a nice salad of baby spinach, avocado, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and scallion, drizzled with a silken tofu dressing.



What did I eat? Thanks for asking!

Sunday, we discovered a new product in the frozen, faux foods aisle; Quorn Gruyere Cutlets.

Sounded decadent, so I grabbed a box.



Crispy, crunchy coating over a creamy cheese sauce; all topping a chicken-less cutlet.

I gotta say...this stuff is pretty good!

I've liked Quorn since I first saw their products in stores, but this one is nice. Very fancy.

And yes, there was cake.



A gorgeous, pitch-black, chocolate cake, frosted with slightly sweetened whipped cream (no, not from a tub)...and purple decorating sugar!

Matt took the day off, got to sleep in, spend time with us, and eat a good meal. Not a bad way to spend a birthday, eh?

Happy Birthday Honey!

Tagged with
,

20 Thoughts for food:

At 4:19 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Happy Birthday Matt! Looks and sounds like you had a GREAT day!

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Where did you get the lamb chop?

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Matt! Looks like an awesome birthday dinner.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Happy B-day Matt!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Zarah Maria!

Any day where he doesn't have to get up early is usually a good day....

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Kevin: Carithers. 6535 Kingston Pike, right across from Nature's Pantry.

And the butcher told Matt they're planning to start making vegetarian sausages! Made from TVP and tofu...we're pretty excited.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Alice!

And part of my gift to Matt was letting him cook! How weird is that...

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Joe!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Erinna said...

Happy birthday, Matt!

(and yum!) :)

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks!

And you know you're always welcome here...we feed people well!

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger S said...

Happy Birthday! Is that an Iron Chef shirt? I should get T one of those-even if he doesen't cook ;)
Cream Potato Puffs...mmmm...

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Jesscia; thanks!

Yes, I got that for Matt a couple of years ago...Food Network should have some, if not the same kind.

If you're interested in those potato puffs, let me know!

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey stephanie - wishing many more delicious birthday to your matt...and it hink it's so cute how the little one opens presents too! LOL!

also, i guess i never realize how amazing it is that you maintain your vegetarian diet without forcing it on the family around you...that's pretty awesome that you cook vegetarian for yourself and a CHOP for matt in the same meal. lots of work. lots of love!

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Sarah!

Alex is our #1 'helper'...in fact, we just put a potato gratin in the oven that he made! No joke; our 2 1/2 year old just made dinner. It was brilliant.

I am raising Alex as a vegetarian, but no...I don't force my diet on anyone else. I look at it this way: it was my decision to give up meat. I don't decide for the masses. And as they pushed on us in church (one of the few things I bothered to take with me), you convert more people by your lifestyle than by your words...

It is more work; but 'love' is exactly why I do it. I don't want other people to feel awkward when they come to eat, or decline an invitation, just because I'm veggie. I remember guys not wanting to date me because they didn't think they could handle it!
I'm always receptive to the dietary preferences and requirements of others...it's just smart thinking.

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated birthday wishes, Matt.

Taking a day off from work on b'day, to spend time with family - I like it.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Indira!

That's actually my rule; I just don't think you should have to work on your own birthday! I've been doing it for years, and Matt's happy to follow suit.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Niki said...

A bit late - but, Matt, I wish you a very happy (belated) birthday from down here.
Stephanie - I'm afraid I won't be able to participate in this month's blog party; I'm going down to a friend's beach house on Friday (skiving off work at lunchtime) where we will do nothing but read lots of books (well, 2 librarians...what do you expect!) and walk on the beach and eat nice food. No internet access at all!
I would have tried to make something beforehand but I've been pretty busy each night (hence not able to keep up with my daily blog reading). I've also officially reprimanded at work for spending too much time on the internet :-(, so am really MIA at the moment. I don't see the problem when you still achieve all your work goals, plus more, and just use it to mentally relax for a few minutes...but apparently 'tis so.
Gah.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki...hi! And thank you.

Well, we'll miss you at the party, but I hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend.

And really...librarians need a little net down-time, too!

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm so late with my congratulatory message, but Happy Birthday, Matt! Glad to see that you enjoyed your special day. :)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Julia!!! It's so wonderful to hear from you!

Thank you; Matt had a good day, and will be off most next week as he's taking time to help me get ready for Thanksgiving. I guess that's what I'm thankful for!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker