Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Pommes Alex

.



Wow...am I a lucky gal.

Not only do I have a husband who cooks, but apparently...a son, as well!

Tuesday, I had a plan for dinner. But, in another case of 'really should have read that recipe all the way through...', I realized too late part of the dish had to sit in the fridge for at least an hour.

Crap.

Matt decided to do something with potatoes, and headed off to the kitchen.

Suddenly, he came back, asking for the camera.

"Alex will be making dinner tonight."

I gotta see this!

So, I head to the kitchen, and lo! and behold!

My 2 1/2 year old was, indeed, making dinner.



He peeled the potatoes (with Daddy as sous chef, cutting off the ends).



He put the (cut by Daddy) potato halves into the food processor, and 'sliced' them by pushing the button.



He placed the potato slices in the baking dish, topping each layer with butter slabs (carefully) and shredded cheese ('sprinkle, sprinkle')...he was so proud!



And he did a fantastic job...we're going to make this a regular event.


Blog Party#4: The Holiday Edition is coming soon...start sending in those entries! Get them to me no later than Saturday at noon (that would be noon Eastern, US, time); I'll get the round-up posted Saturday!



Tagged with
,

16 Thoughts for food:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Wow, that looks really impressive! Good job on Alex's first cooked meal! :)

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Anne!

He loves to help, so we do what we can to encourage him.

And he's 2 1/2!!!!!!!!

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

wow ! impressive....was wondering y u called the potato as pommes alex...now we know......sous chef in the making and what a licky lady you are indeed...

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie, he is. I just want to give him a kiss on his cheek. Adorable.
Peeling all those potatoes, not one or two. Wow, Alex:)

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Laura said...

cooking with kids can be so much fun, I think teaching them teaches us to slow down and appreciate each step. my friend's daughter helped with cookies yesterday and they were great b/c she was rather slower at adding flour than I at mixing. The extra mixing time made them very tasty!

Very cool to see Alex learning the ropes. *grin*

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, foodcrazee!

Alex is always helping in the kitchen, but this is the first time he's made someting (almost) entirely by himself.

And let's face: women love a man who can cook!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Indira!

You're not the only one...I smooch him all the time!

Fortunately, the apple/potato peeler is a godsend. If you don't have one...they're inexpensive, and make the job so much easier. I don't know what we'd do without ours!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura...you're so right!

And making food with kids brings back some of the joy for us, as well. We can get so caught up in routine, but for Alex? It's about fun, and learning, and spending time with Mommy and Daddy.

Which makes it good for me.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

How cute is that! I love cooking with kids. Ironically, I made scalloped potatoes yester with the little boy I nanny.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Great minds, and all...right?!

Well, scalloped potatoes are just so good!

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Sounds like a win-win situation!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Believe me, it is!

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's amazing! Great job, Alex!! :)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Jeff!!!

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was an awesome debut for a two year old! Great job, Alex! :)

Stephanie, will you give Alex a hug on my behalf? He's really adorable!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Julia!

And I will gladly give him a hug for you...I do it all the time! He's a real sweetie, believe me.

And when I told him, he said 'thank you'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker