Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Retro Dinner: 'Chicken' Pot Pie Like No One's Mom Used to Make

.



Another old-time dish, the Chicken Pot Pie.

My mom never made pot pies for us. I don't know if that was because she didn't like them, didn't know how to make them, or she didn't think they were healthy enough (this is a woman who weighs her food, people).

My grandparents would get frozen pies, and I loved them.

But then I gave up meat, and with the exception of Amys and Morningstar Farms, most companies don't produce meat-free or meat-substitute pot pies.

So it's safe to say 'it's been awhile' since I've eaten a pot pie.

But I recently thought of a way to make a vegetarian-friendly 'chicken' pot pie. And channeling Poppy Cannon (I'm having a hard time finding an on-line bio for her, but you may find this interesting), I got to work.

I thinly sliced a carrot, and tossed them rather unceremoniously into a frying pan of melted butter. I let them cook a bit, then dumped in frozen peas. When both veggies were soft, I poured them into a bowl containing condensed cream of potato soup with a bit of milk.

I then melted more butter in the pan, and added frozen diced potatoes and Quorn Recipe Tenders, and cooked till slightly brown.

They, too, were dumped into the bowl.

Mix everything together, and pour into a store-bought pie crust. Top with the remaining crust, and bake till browned.

In the end, I had a pretty tasty, and convenience food made, pot pie.

And what could be more Retro than that?


Blog Party #6 has been announced, and this month? We're going Retro! Click here for all the information, and remember: Blog Party entries are due this Thursday!




Tagged with
, , ,

8 Thoughts for food:

At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds (and looks fantastic), and really simple. I think I shall have to try it soon and feedbank.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Now see... you could have submitted this for ARF/5-A-Day! ;) I love potpie ... The Husband? Not so much.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Craig! Do let me know what you think.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yikes! I was so busy getting my Slashfood entry together, I completely forgot.

Oh, well...next time!

And yeah; Matt won't eat it, either.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok - here's my variation of the recipe. It ended up being a casserole, but its still yummy!
Vegetable casserole

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, I'm glad you got a good meal out of it, no matter the form!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Randi said...

I wanted to buy some of that quorn, but I read some negative articles about it. Have you had any bad reactions to it?

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey Randi; I, too, had heard some people had issues with Quorn. I can honestly say I've had nothing but good experiences with it. It's sooo good...their Gruyere cutlets are fantastic!..., and no adverse reactions.

Then again, that's just me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker