Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

We're Getting Closer...

.



You may remember my quest for the perfect fried chicken: It didn't go well.

But a recent recipe may have gotten me a lot closer.

Crispy Spiced Fried Chicken was pretty close to perfect.

So easy to prepare; while the recipe called for 'parts', I cut up whole chicken and Veat breasts, and let them marinate in a buttermilk/salt/chipotle powder mixture. Shake off excess, then coat with flour/chipotle/cayenne. Fry in peanut oil till crispy.

Matt and I were worried about the heat, what with the ground up chipotles, and all.

Surprisingly, what we got was more of a 'warmth' than an 'aaaaah!'. Nice flavor, excellent crunchy coating. Although we noticed an increase in the 'haaa haaat' factor the second day.

But all around, a good fried chicken. And we're already planning to make it again, just so we can turn it into sandwiches!





Tagged with: + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't mastered the art of frying chicken,either.My husband sure wishes I would.lol

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

hmm...it all depends on what u want as a crispy chicken. It aint easy

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Emily...for me, it's more about the coating than the technique; but if I come up with a winner, I'll let you know!

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

foodcrazee...you're right. For me, it's a crunchy, crispy coating I'm aiming for.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger yana said...

omg...i haven't been here latey! damn. the chicken looks delicious *drools*. i got fat just looking @ it. lol

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Manguesssssss...see what happens when you don't visit? Sensory over-load!

You really should make this a daily read; apparently, you can only take so much each day!

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

what abt dusting with flour, dipped into egg wash and then coat with flour again ?

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I've actually tried that method, but it just didn't give me enough of a crunch!

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oooh! I adore fried chicken!! And we haven't had it in ages. That one you made looks really good too.

My grandmother-in-law was from Virginia. Here is our version of her recipe for Buttermilk Fried Chicken if you'd like to give it a try.

-Elizabeth

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Elizabeth, thank you so much for sharing that recipe! I will definitely give it a try.

This one was really good. That's Matt's chicken in the picture, which was slightly over-cooked. My Veat pieces were perfectly golden, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker