Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

And one more...

.



Last one, promise!

I always make a dessert for my in-law's on their special days; birthday, anniversaries, etc.

I was already making a chocolate cake for Matt, so I wanted something a bit...lighter, for his dad.

I searched through some on-line recipes, and finally hit on this Creamy Vanilla Cheesecake with Vanilla Syrup. What can I say; I'm a sucker for cheesecake!

The picture doesn't do this one justice.

I admit I wasn't a big fan of the crust...I'm perfectly content with some butter and graham crackers...but the cheesecake itself was lovely. My mother-in-law adored it.

One pound of cream cheese, 3/4 pounds marscapone, the seeds from half a vanilla bean...all coming together for a creamy, but not too sweet, cheesecake.

Served with a rather interesting lavender syrup; the lavender leaves are steeped, then cooled. Sugar is melted with the tiniest amount of water. When it's melted, add in the (strained) lavender water, and stir till cool.

I don't really eat sweet things; I seem to have lost my tolerance for them. But I still love a slice of cheesecake now and then. So much so, that I post-poned the start of my 'no dairy for three weeks' by one day; I just had to have a piece!

Of course, I wrapped the rest of it up (why oh why do I not, ever?, have the proper-sized pans? had to use a 10", instead of a 9"), and sent it home with the in-law's.

After a visit to his parent's house, Matt reported that they've been working on it every night!



Tagged with: + + + +
+ + +

6 Thoughts for food:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

That cheesecake sounds delicious, and I'm not even a huge fan of them.

I just wanted to comment on the no-dairy thing. I had to go on a strict non-dairy diet after my son was born because he had a milk allergy and was having trouble nursing and holding it down. You'd be surprised of all the things that contain milk or milk byproducts. (at least, I was!) Good luck, and I hope that it renders good results for you.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Angela, thank you!

Actually, I'm keenly aware of dairy's presence; it's not unlike being a vegetarian, really. Sometimes, I think all I do is read labels...I have to be dilligent, becaue you never know what's in your food!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger CameraDawktor said...

Oh fancy schmancy! Where'd you get this recipe?!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It's from Food & Wine; any time you see a recipe in green, it's uaually a link. If you can't access it, just let me know and I'll grab it for you.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmm....looks great!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Emily!

My mother-in-law's been raving about it, so I'm thinking it went over well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker