Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Pain au Chocolat

.



It would seem I'm not supposed to get any sleep on Sunday nights.

Something I've been wanting to do for ages now; make my own croissants and/or pain au chocolat.

Since Matt's about ready to celebrate a birthday, and because he's quite fond of them, I decided to (finally) try making Pain Au Chocolat, using Jacques Torres's recipe.

I was unable to start on the dough as early as I'd hoped, and the way things worked out, the pastries didn't come out of the oven until close to five AM.

But when they did, they sure were pretty!





I felt almost guilty, spreading all that butter over the dough, but I know that's what makes puff pastry so darn good!

I still have my no-eating thyroid med-related wait to try one myself (and yes, I'm going to do just that...after a nice long nap), but Matt said they tasted exactly as they should.

Matt says this: "Flaky. Light. Chocolatey. Buttery. Yum"

And I can cross one more 'to do' off my list!





Blogging by Mail, the Holiday Edition, is going on now! Sign-ups will be open until this Thursday, 16 November.









Blog Party#16 is coming, and this month, we're turning our favorite take-out foods into cocktail party fare! Browse those take-out menus, and get your entries to me no later than This Thursday, 16 November...early is always good...by leaving a link here in the comments, or firing off an email to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. Tell a friend, and hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Brilynn said...

These have definitely been on my "to-do" list for quite some time, it's encouraging to see that someone else's turned out.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Erika W. said...

There must have been something in the air. This last week I kept thinking that I needed to attempt pain au chocolat (course, I just read Chocolat...) but I couldn't find a recipe that I thought seemed genuine. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Nabeela said...

good for you stephanie! Those do look incredibly flaky and light..yum!

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty girl...silly girl...those are stunning. I did them once so long ago. They really are amazing and worth all that effort and butter.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Those look awesome. I ate LOTS of them in France for breakfast! So quick, easy to find and delicious. Please share. YUM.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn;

They were surprisingly simple to make...they just require a lot of time. But if set aside say...twelve hours on a weekend...you're good!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erika...reading Chocolat can be dangerous! When I read it, all I wanted to do was buy an enrober...!

I think you'll like this one. And you can also use it for croissants, which just happen to be my weakness!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'll tell you what, Nabeela...with all that butter, and folding and rolling? They'd Better be light and flaky!

But thank you...!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I tried one, and it was pretty good. My father-in-law seemed rather fond of them...telling me to not cross them off my list, but to contiune making them!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Abby, sorry! They're all gone...but next time I feel like blocking out half my day for pastry, you're invited!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker