Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

WDB: Guest Pups, or why some people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs

.



Say 'hello' to Duke and "Fluffy". A couple of neighborhood dogs who have been, effectively, turned out by their owners.

Three weeks ago, they started hanging around my door. Being the animal lover I am, I went out to the porch to visit with them, and discovered that both are gentle, sweet, and seriously underweight.



Duke lives a few houses down from us. His owners happened to be driving by that day, and attempted to take him home. From the dog's reaction to them, it must not be a very good one.



He was back the next day. Two weeks later, when I found Duke with a bloody mouth (turned out, a tooth had come loose), I took him back, shut him in his yard, and left my information, along with a note about Duke's injury.

Not only did Duke (and "Fluffy") show up in my yard an hour and a half later, but I never heard from them. The next door neighbor told me they're never home, and she often has to put food out for Duke.



"Fluffy" lives three houses to the right of us; his owner is a bit of a character (and not in a good way). His next door neighbor informed me "Fluffy" is never fed, either. He's sweet, and loyal, and is clearly not the sort of dog who should be running free.



Hoping to keep them from running the streets, and because I can't stand the thought of two sweet pups starving (especially during the winter), I've been setting out a bowl of food and water for them. I also tossed a couple of old pillows (and later, a Goodwill Store blanket) for them to sleep on.



Which they do. Four o'clock in the morning, you can find them curled up on the porch.
During the day, they sun themselves in our front yard, or on the porch.



Their owners know where they are, but clearly don't care. Matt absolutely will not allow me to take in two more dogs, but I do what I can for them. The past couple of nights, as the temperatures have dropped to the low teens, we've brought them inside to sleep. Everyone gets along (although Doolin thinks he's a lion or something, and acts bossy), and we've had peaceful nights.



They're just looking for love and attention, which they can get here. I'd feel much better if they had homes, and better yet if they were good homes. I can't turn them away, because I'm afraid of what will happen to them if someone isn't caring for them.



How people can raise a pup, then decide it's no longer worth the work, and ignore them, is beyond me. And as sweet as these two are, it breaks my heart to know they're unwanted.



I mean, can you imagine YOUR dog being missing for three weeks, and not doing a thing about it?

Keep good thoughts for these two, ok? They need it.




You won't want to miss the most fabulous Blog Party ever, coming Saturday, 16 December! This month, we're going HOLLYWOOD...Lights, Camera, Action! RSVP by Thursday, 14 December; hope to see you there.



Tagged with: + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Poor pups! Glad they found safe shelter on your porch. Wondering if there are any local rescue organizations in your area. Duke looks to be a german shepherd mix, and Fluffy a Chow Mix. I bet an internet search for breed rescue in your area may turn up some good results, and some loving homes.

Good luck.

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this just breaks my heart. My hubby would lose out in the keeping them department if I lived there.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

those are to good lookin dogs. i wish i could take duke in. he has a gorgeous face. what is wrong with people?????

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger B said...

If I were in a better position financially right now I'd probably be asking about taking in Fluffy. I'm glad to see someone is watching out for these pups.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's a very sad story. How can people be as mean as that? At least, there are nice people like you who are ready to help such poor souls! It really breaks my heart...

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger sugarcreekfarm said...

Oh, poor things. How awful! Bless you for helping them out.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Those owners need to be shot! I'm glad the dogs have you there to help them. And with luck you'll find them a loving home.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, all!

They really are sweet souls.

Angela: I've done some checking, and there doesn't appear to be a rescue for either breed here...that was something Matt thought of a couple weeks ago.

Peabody: I keep trying to win Matt over. Not sure it's working, but the dogs are here more than they're not. In fact, they're playing in the (fenced in) backyard right now.

Barbie: Duke is such a gentle dog. He actually cries with happiness when he sees me now. He's good with Alex, too, which is a real blessing.

Kaj's Mom: I wish you were, too! Fluffy is so incredibly sweet. He has this way of looking at you...you just want to hug him. And I can tell he's happier these days: he's been prancing! Seriously; when I let him out into the yard, with the other dogs, he does this little dance which makes the heart smile.

Rosa: I don't understand it, either. I mean, it's more than three weeks...your dog is not there. What kind of person does that?

SCF: thank you. I can't help but do that. If only you guys could meet them! They are just such...sweet dogs.

Barbara: I'm kind of anti-fire arms, but I agree they need a good whuppin' or something.
Maybe they should be left out of their homes, no food or money or extra clothing...and see how they like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker