Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Breakfast with Ina

.



I go through these...chef jags, I suppose you could call it.

I pick up Nigel Slater, and we eat nothing but cheese, cream, and butter for a week.

I watch an episode of Nigella Bites, and I'm looking up every recipe attributed to her.

I get the latest Donna Hay magazine, and suddenly we're whipping up fast and gorgeous dishes.

Lately, I've been on an Ina Garten kick.

I adore Ina. I want her to be my Mom. Failing that, I want to make all those simple and lovely dishes she shares with me during BarefootContessa.

This week was back-to-school, which also means back-to-making-breakfast-foods for me.
I'd been paging through one of her books (I'm convinced I own three, Matt thinks it's only two. And that's a comment on our cookbook situation: I have no idea just how many we have, or where they are!), and near the front was a recipe for a Sour Cream Coffee Cake.

Alex, once assured that coffee cakes do not, in fact, contain actual coffee (Alex: 'we don't drink coffee, do we" Me:"No, we don't" Alex: Grandmom and Granddad do" Me: "So does the rest of the world"), warmed up to the idea of this fantastic breakfast food.

Nothing too wild or unusual. This cake, baked in a tube pan, allocates the majority of the crumb topping to be placed between two layers of the batter.
And the batter was dense, and seemed too little. You can see how wonderfully it rose, with nothing more than baking powder & soda to assist.

I'd hoped to include a photo of the cross-section, but I'm still fighting with Blogger. Most photos just won't load (oh, they claim to be there, but in fact, aren't), and some are actually disappearing once I've posted. Quite frustrating.



Tagged
with: + + + + + +

4 Thoughts for food:

At 3:11 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Nice looking cake Stephanie. Funny, Martin does the same thing as Alex everytime I make a coffee cake - he likes his coffee, but for drinking and NOT in cakes. "But Honey, there's no actual coffee IN the cake." "Oh."

I've been thinking, re. to your upload problems - have you thought about using Flickr at all? It's real easy - I started out with the free subscription and it worked fine for me, for blogging and uploading. (then my computer started going slow because of all the pictures I had lying around, so I wanted to transfer them all to Flickr which resulted in me having to buy a pro account - but that was because my needs changed, not because it didn't work as it was.) Just a suggestion!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Yummy looking cake. I love Ina too, but I don't have any of her books...no one ever sells them to the used book stores for me to buy!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Zarah, I keep explaining to Alex that it's merely a cake to be consumed with morning coffee...or in our case, tea or milk...not a coffee-soaked cake.
Although there are millions out there who would enjoy such a thing!

Actually, I do have a flickr account, which I sometimes use, but I prefer the quality of Blogger. Also, I can use Bloggers web albums with ease, but I like the regular way of posting pictures, with their click-ability (love big pictures!).

We've been corresponding with the blogger folks, but if this doesn't get fixed soon, flickr may just get my business!

And thanks for the tip.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sara; that's the problem with food pros like Ina: her stuff's too good to get rid of!

you should send me your address: we're soon to hit a rather magnificent (and enormous) used book store in town, and if I happen to see any of Ina's books around, I'd be happy to get them for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker