Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Red-Hued Bounty

.



Finally.

It wasn't till the end of August, but we finally got 'round to the Farmer's Market.

I'd love to shop daily for farm-fresh produce, but we simply don't have that option.

The good market here is open Tuesday and Friday, and doesn't begin selling till 3:00 pm. Makes it difficult to get there.

Matt had taken off work last Friday, though (parent/teacher conferences); the three of us decided it was time.

We had a long list of vegetables and herbs we needed, but I had no idea what we'd find.



One man was selling these tiny shallots, and I'm pretty sure I grabbed more than I needed.



He also had a basket of these 'baby' carrots. We had a carrot salad planned for Labor day, so that worked out. They smelled wonderful, but surprisingly, weren't terribly sweet.



I had absolutely no 'need' for sweet potatoes, but they were just so pretty! Besides, no sweet potato is safe around this house.



Matt noticed one man selling meat, and got in line. We actually had quite a few dishes with meat on the menu this week, so if we could get the 'good stuff', why not?

Even though it wasn't on the list, Matt had to get this bacon. He loved how it didn't look like commercial bacon, and apparently, it's incredible.



We'll be having shepherd's pie later this week, so we planned to get some lamb stew meat for Matt. This guy was out, but offered him some goat stew meat.
I'm not crazy about this, but Matt took a pound.

We got lots of tomatoes, as well as a myrtle for the front yard. I bought a jar of white clover honey from an elderly fellow, who told me a bit about his hives, too.
I wished we had more uses for some of the stuff we saw, but we already had a full week's menu planned.

But for that half-hour or so we wandered around the market (held in a church parking lot), I felt pretty good about what we were doing, and what we were going to eat.





Blog Party#26 is coming, and this month, we're focusing on What's Inside! All your favorite appetizers with something to hide, and drinks, too...if you can manage!
Entries are due 20 September; hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + + + +

2 Thoughts for food:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger winedeb said...

I am enjoying your bounty! I was up north (Ohio) most of the summer but have just returned south. When I was up north, I spent every single Saturday morning at the farmers market. Such great fresh food! I find it so fun just to go and grab whatever looks yummy then come home and get creative!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Winedeb; I'd love to do that, but I'm such a planner by nature!

I'm one of those people who has to have a destination when in the car...no aimless cruising for me. So, alas, wandering the produce stalls can be fun, but I have to know what I'm going to do with it before I buy!

Stupid Virgo me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker