Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Food for the Soul, Food for the Body

.



As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I wouldn't want to live in a world without books. Books, and reading, have been such a major part of my life. I survived (and I use that word for it's truest meaning) childhood & adolescence partly because I could escape into a worlds more pleasant, simply by opening the cover of a book.

I will read anything. Matt & I talk about needing little more than 'words in a row' to be happy.

I admit that I've always been drawn to detective stories. Not the mass-produced stories, where there's little plot but lots of WORDS. I don't care for many of the authors and stories out there today.

But I do love a good detective book. I adore Dashiell Hammett. Agatha Christie and I became friends decades ago.

But someone I've only recently gotten into, yet love very much, is Rex Stout. He gave us Nero Wolfe, an agoraphobic, orchid-obsessed, gourmand genius.

The stories are compelling, the style, the prose, captivating. But what really sold me was the food

Stout, and through him, Wolfe, love food. Food and cooking. Debating with his chef over the use of juniper berries in the marinade for venison. Admitting that 40 minutes is too long to expect the average housewife to spend scrambling eggs, but it really must be done to achieve perfection.

Insisting that corn be no more than three hours old when it is delivered to his home, else it is useless, animal feed.

And in cooking that corn, do not, my dear friends, shuck that corn and place it in a pot of boiling water.

Wolfe feels that housewives across American should themselves be boiled in water for committing such an offense.

No, to achieve perfection, corn should be placed into a hot oven, unshucked, and roasted for 40 minutes. Peel at the table and slather with butter. Nothing more.



I have to confess: the old boy was right. This was the sweetest, most succulent corn I've ever had. We roasted the ears in a 400 degree over for exactly 40 minutes, and the smell was so intoxicating I could barely wait.

In fact, the waiting is an issue. The corn smells and looks so good, it's difficult to wait for the internal temperature to drop to a point where it doesn't actually hurt your teeth to eat it.

But the pain? Almost worth it.







Blog Party#26 is coming, and this month, we're focusing on What's Inside! All your favorite appetizers with something to hide, and drinks, too...if you can manage!
Entries are due THIS Thursday, 20 September; hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting! will definitely have to try. we love BBQ corn (both BBQ/steamed in the wetted husk, and husked corn right on the grill), but never had roasted corn. It does sound great tho!

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger daphne said...

definitely on the my dinner menu next week. I'm such a fan of corn. Havent tried roasting with their husk on. Good tip!

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Nupur said...

A food obsessed detective, you say?? I'll have to look for these books!
The corn looks so delicious.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Katherine!!!!!!!!!!!

How's the Bay area? Does it miss us as much as we miss it?

This was unbelievably good corn. If you have the patience, it's worth the time.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Daphne!

Definitely give this a try. Especially if you have some other reason to turn on the oven.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Nupur!!!

How are things with you??

Oh, Nero Wolfe is amazing character, and the books are incredible. They are absolutely among my favorites...and I've read a lot of books!

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Elise said...

Oh I love Nero Wolfe! No surprises that he likes his corn that way. Cooking it the husk is the best way to retain the flavor. And fresh corn from the stalk is so good sometimes you can eat it without even cooking it. Yum!

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Elise!

Isn't Nero Wolfe one of the best characters out there?

I don't know that I've ever had corn quite that fresh, but should it happen, I'm willing to take that bite!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker