Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wartime Wednesday: Butterscotch Toast

.



Toast
Bread for toast should be cut in slices from one-eigth to one-half inch thick and toasted over a clear fire or in a gas or electric toaster until both sides are an even, rich golden brown. Unless a toaster with an automatic timing and turning device is used, the slices should be turned two or three times to avoid warping.
---The Victory Binding of American Woman's Cook Book, pub. 1943

Now this was fun.

Mix brown sugar and butter, and spread over bread. Stick under the broiler till everything is melted.

I made enough topping for six, but only used three pieces of bread. The toasts would definitely have been crunchier if I'd followed directions!

Simple, but good.




Blog Party#26 is coming, and this month, we're focusing on What's Inside! All your favorite appetizers with something to hide, and drinks, too...if you can manage!
Entries are due 20 September; hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Deborah said...

What a fun treat! I would have never thought of this, yet it is so simple!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Ooh your toast sounds like just the perfect thing this dreary Wednesday in rainy Central NY... alas, no bread OR sugar for me. It looks luscious!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I wouldn't mind a piece of that this morning! Looks great.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger daphne said...

what a yummy looking toast. And a handsome looking one as well. Never thought that brown sugar and butter will make a good combination for toast!

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deborah; that's the beauty of this book!

Some of the stuff is downright disgusting (pickled tongue sandwiches, anyway???), but there's a certain charm to many of the recipes. I really love going through and finding 'new' things to make.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, Mrs. W...dietary restrictions? Or empty coffers? Either way, it's a real pity. This stuff rocks.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, Sara, should you ever find yourself here for breakfast, I'll be sure to make it!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Daphne, I'm often amazed at the previously un-thought-of combinations this book has given me. It really is a gem of a cookbook!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker