Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Wartime Wednesday: Egg & Bacon Cornbread Breakfast Sandwich

.



Simple Menus

Breakfast


Strawberries with CreamBaked Pears
Corn FlakesFrench Toast
Graham MuffinsMaple Syrup
Coffee MilkCoffee Milk




Stewed ApricotsSliced Oranges
Corn-meal MushScrambled Eggs & Bacon
Buttered Toast Toast
Coffee MilkCoffee Milk




Granular Wheat with Raisins Grapefruit
and Top MilkCodfish Balls
Oatmeal Gems EggsBaking Powder Biscuits
Coffee Milk Coffee Milk

---The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book, pub. 1943




There were no 24-hour drive-through windows when this book was published, so I was surprised to see what passed as a recipe for breakfast sandwiches.

Cornbread (their recipe for Southern Cornbread, using scalded milk, white corn meal, shortening, and beaten egg whites), sliced and toasted, and topped with a fried egg & chopped bacon.

You could easily dress this up with your favorite add-in's: cheese, sausage, vegetables, herbs, you name it.

Very filling. I only had one, and it was plenty. Matt pushed himself, and ate two. Good stuff.




Time to start thinking about this month's Blog Party theme...and for October, it's all about Halloween!

Do something frightful with your favorite appetizers and cocktails, and get your entries to me no later than Thursday, 25 October...hope to see you there!



Tagged with: + + + + + + + +

2 Thoughts for food:

At 1:23 AM, Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

This looks great, but I'll skip the "codfish balls" listed on the menu above. :-)
Sounds like an interesting book - I love checking out vintage recipes.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, Kimberly Ann, you aren't kidding!

Every time I read something like 'tongue sandwich' or 'calves brains', I have to try very hard not to throw up!

But there's always something good in there; it really is an amazing book. Huge, and filled with not only recipes but tips on etiquette, how to set a table and serve a meal, all sorts of things. It's downright charming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker