Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Daring Bakers Challenge:The Day After the Perfect Party Cake

.



When I realized I had to miss February's challenge, I vowed I'd make whatever was on tap for March. When I discovered it was Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake, I thought 'this will be a piece of cake' (ha). I have a copy of the book. This should be easy.

Yeah...

March was a busy month, and I think that because...at least initially...the cake was to be decorated with coconut, I unconsciously resisted making it.

We are not a coconut-loving family, you see.

So, various events and happenings, uh, happened, and a few days ago, I realized I'd yet to tackle my DB challenge.

I gave the 'assignment' another look over, and discovered the decorating requirements had been relaxed considerably.

It was incredibly last-minute: I didn't make the cake till Sunday night. But by golly, that's one Perfect Party Cake up there!

I have a thing for square cakes, so I made mine in nine-inch squares. I followed the basic cake recipe, but used strawberry jelly in place of the raspberry preserves...using as little as possible: fruit-fillings aren't popular around here.

I desparately wanted to do something cool with the decorations, but it was very last minute and inspiration was not forthcoming. So...I went all Jackson Pollock on it.




it was very lemony, and very good. The buttercream came out wonderfully, the cakes as well.

I wish I could have given this more attention, but for a last-minute affair, it wasn't half bad.

Be sure to see what the other DB'ers have come up with!

Tagged with: + + + + +

47 Thoughts for food:

At 1:47 AM, Blogger Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

It looks totally delicious!! You did a fabulous job :O)

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Morven said...

I'm drooling. That topping looks SO good - and the cake is great as a square. Glad you had fun with the challenge. As they say on "Idol" - you really made it your own.

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Anne said...

The chocolate drizzle on top made it even more appealing :)

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks great - very artistic!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Lysy said...

I think your decorating looks amazing and much more fun than a traditional look. Did it taste as good??

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love your decorating! The cake looks great!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Princess of the kitchen said...

well done. Looks decadent.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

So Jackson Pollock = yummy and time to dive in?
Looks good!

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous! I love the top.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Paula said...

It looks great! I love the alternate decoration.

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the free flowing feel of your decoration. I'm learning a lot in this area from other DB'ers.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Georgia said...

That looks great! I too am just so-so about coconut, but sign me up for chocolate :) The buttercream looks like it turned out really well, nice job!

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger chriesi said...

I love the decoration!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Gabi said...

Fab job- love the Jackson Pollock effect! and square is so there... :)
xoxo
Gabi

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Dolores said...

I was *wondering* who was going to break out the chocolate on this one. As far as I'm concerned, you can go all Jackson Pollock any time you want -- as long as you're willing to share. :) Your cake looks great!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger cookworm said...

Glad you could make it this month! I love the Jackson Pollock look!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger bird's eye view said...

I love the jackson pollock decorating - I should have gone with that instead of my mad look...

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger ServesYouRight said...

Ah the life of a daring baker! Uphill struggles against fruit fillings, time crunches - a life of strife :-) You did Jackson Pollock PROUD! The cake looks DELISH!

Smita

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Amy J. said...

I like the Jackson Pollack look! Bet it was yummy!

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Miss Ifi said...

*giggles* a Jackson Pollock cake!!! definitely interesting!!! a thousand congratulations on your challenge because that is such a creative way to decorate your cake!!!
I wonder.. what would Jackson Pollock cook??

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Beth G; thanks so much!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Morven...thank you! It's just melted milk chocolate, but it was so fun to 'apply'.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Anne!!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Cakelaw...I guess 'artistic' is the right word, eh??

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lysy...thank you!

I honestly don't know. I didn't eat it!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Sarah! Who knew lack of inspiration could work so well?

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Princess!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jenny...I have no idea! But, it got the job done.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Diane!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Paula!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jmom.

It's true...you have to let you inner, finger-painting, child out now and then!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Georgia, thanks!

Yeah...coconut, not so much. Coconut-flavored? I'm ok with that, and of course coconut milk is a staple in our house. But that dessicated stuff is just nasty.

Yes, the buttercream was perfect. I'm personally not a fan of the meringue approach...just seems like more steps to me...but it came together wonderfully.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Chiesi...thanks!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gabi...thank you!

I love my square pans. I have them in several sizes, and will use just about any excuse to bring them out!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Dolores...thank you!

And any time; you're always welcome!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Cookworm! I'm happy I didn't miss it, and I'm really looking forward to April's challenge. Very much a 'me' thing.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Bird's Eye View...I think anyone who manages to find the time to complete the challenge is a hero, no matter what the results. Life is busy, and we make it busier with all our foodie events. So, mad or arty, it's a winner to me!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Smita, you're a doll. Love ya.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Amy J; thank you!

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Miss Ifi...that is a most excellent question. He probably ate very little, so consumed by his work was he!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like the swirly on top. Looks like a piece of art! :)

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Suzana Parreira said...

Cna't say I miss the coconut - the chocolate drippings look amazing! Lovely cake, Stephanie!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Rina said...

Mmm - looks delicious!!!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Claire...that's kind of what I was going for!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Suzana...I'm with you, and thanks!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Mama Bear!

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Elle said...

Very cool decorations and nice to see a square cake, too. Strawberry jam is a nice touch, but the Pollack like chocolate on top is the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker