Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fallen Heroes

.



My original plan for Alex's birthday cake was to create candy (wafer chocolate) heroes to place on the tiers.

They came out pretty good, I like to think. However, as I discovered around one in the morning...day of party...that they were just too small a space to work with, and the layer of chocolate too thin.

When I attempted to peel them off (and then affix them to a solid, white, candy base), they fractured.

Flash's leg broke off. Maybe he finally ran too fast.

Superman's head became unattached. What's stronger than the man of steel?

There must have been a bullet Diana couldn't stop.



But my long-time hero, Batman, got it the worst. Perhaps it's because he's mortal, with no special powers, freak industrial accidents, magic accessories or alien technology.

He's tough, smart, and gadget-laden, but just a man. He ended up in pieces.

Which led me to plan B.

Oh, well...better luck next time.





This month, Blog Party's all about the ultimate hand-held food & having a Pizza Party!

Top your pies...full-sized and sliced, or in miniature form...any way you want, pour yourself a drink, and join the party. You have till this Thursday, 20 March, to RSVP...hope to see you there!





Tagged with: + + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger Cakelaw said...

Stephanie, These are just gorgeous, even in pieces. Would love to know how you made them.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Gabi said...

That's a bummer- but wow I am SO impressed by your work- even in pieces!
The plan B cake is gorgeous- you're a superhero yourself!
x x x

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cakelaw, thank you!

I used candy melts; chocolate or colored wafer candy. It's melted with a pinch of paramount crystals to think it out. I printed out images of the various characters, covered them with wax paper, then used chocolate wafers to make outlines, and used a candy coloring to tint white wafers and filled in the various parts with them.

With more practice, I'm sure I can do a better job of it!

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Gabi. It was such a disappointment, after all that work, but I'm definitely willing to give it another try.

My mom, the pastry chef, said it would have worked much better with royal icing, which I may also give a go.

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was impressed enough with "Plan B"!

And the characters do look impressive--lots of work. Maybe next time you could pipe your decorations onto sugar cookies (in the shape of the characters)--then they'd be a little more durable. Same principle with the outlines/etc and you could use either chocolate melts or royal icing as your mom suggests. I've had good luck with piping royal icing onto sugar cookies in the past, and with patience they dry rock hard and are very durable. The kids could even run around the room with them! ;-)

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Julie said...

They look great, and I'm sorry that broke, but your Plan B came out wonderfully!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Hey, happy birthday to Alex! :)

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

hey Katherine...thanks!

Next time??? We'll have to see...every year, I promise myself I won't get in over my head, and every year...sleepless nights.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Julie!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Erin!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker