Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Bakeanistas: Four Colors of Cassata

.



There aren't many things that'll get me out of bed early on a Sunday morning. Especially a Sunday morning after a late Saturday night watching a box office-shattering film which subsequently left me too wired to sleep.

And yet, with considerably less sleep than I'd planned, I was up & surprisingly awake that morning...with a strong Central Perk-sized mug of Irish tea...getting out eggs and flour and and pistachios & firing up Skype.

Because one of those few reasons to give up my (much-needed) beauty sleep is a scheduled viral baking session with my Bakeanista pals.

The plan: bake and decorate a Cassata; a wonderful cake filled with a chocolate & pistachio ricotta mixture, and iced and decorated...well, that part's up for discussion.



Most of the 'gang' was there, and there was much chatting and laughing and baking. Every now and again, you find a group of people you know you can truly be yourself around. These guys? Oh...if Skype had a ratings system, well; let's just say it's better they don't.

But with Lisa, Chris, Helen, Ben, Ivonne, John, Kelly, Marce, and Mary baking...and chatting...freely, you're guaranteed a fun time.

A few Bakeanistas had to skip the bake-fest, but were definitely with us in spirit (and possibly felt a burning sensation about the ears throughout the day): Sara, Tanna & Laura , you gals were missed.



The cake was to be liberally brushed with rum. Even though I was intending to give the cake to my father-in-law for his birthday, I had to change that. Even if I did drink, I just can't do rum.

So, I used a blood orange syrup which, along with the chocolate/pistachio/ricotta/orange zest filing, gave the cake a funky four-colored look.

Instead of the meringue-based frosting, I used Helen's recipe for stable-ized whipped cream, and decorated it simply with whole pistachios.

I haven't gotten a review yet, but I think it turned out pretty good. But a day spent with friends? A perfect ten.






You're invited to celebrate Blog Party's 3rd anniversary! Make this a fantastic party...there's just a few more days to get your your Blogger's Choice RSVP's to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com; no later than THIS Thursday, 24 July. Hope to see you there!






Tagged with: + + + + + + + + +

13 Thoughts for food:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Chris said...

mmmmm - blood orange syrup! I bet that was deeelish! And with the "dab" of rum syrup? Ha! I am glad we baked in the morning, or I don't know if the cake would have had the alcohol.....heeee. Your pistachios and their color look great with the cake. Until next time!

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum on the blood orange syrup, great sub on the rum!!!! Cake looks fantastic!!!! As always enjoyed the morn with you all, sorry I was not there much but the time I did spend was great!!!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Lis said...

I love the colors! You did a beautiful job so I can't imagine you getting a bad review on this cake.. it was delish!

xoxo

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Helene said...

Chris asked me if I brushed my cakes with the syrup, I laughed and said I let my cakes drink the syrup so pour it on baby!!
Looks fabulous!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger kellypea said...

Fabulous cake, Steph! Woo-Hoo. That blood orange syrup was a perfect idea. We're still gaining weight on ours, but with half a cake left to go, I just may need a bake sale any minute. Until next time, huh? ;)

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger had been a butt-head!! I've been trying to post this comment for 20 minutes!!

Stephanie, your cake is so lovely with all those colors. The blood red orange was the perfect way to go.

It was a blast chatting as usual.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey Chris! That blood orange is rather striking, isn'it it?

Yeah...I think that with this gang, anything involving alcohol should not be done mid-to-late afternoon!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

John, it was good to have you around, though. I think your cake is perfectly gorgeous!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Lis!

Still haven't heard from them...gulp...I guess I'll find out Saturday, during the train ride.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Ben!

You're lucky you had people around to eat it; my poor in-laws usually get the 'fruit's of my baking labor.

Wonder what we'll do next time??

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Helen, so you served up drunken Cassata??!?

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Kelly...break rooms at work are always a good way to rid yourself of giant baked good. Sadly, we live in a world of non-bakers, so they'll usually gobble it up!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mary...it's always fun! What's next???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker