Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, July 28, 2008

That Would be a 'Miss'

.




As much as I love Indian food, I don't often make it at home. It can be a lot of work...although, generally, worth every minute.

Over the past couple of years, I've acquired Suvir Saran's books, Indian Home Cooking & American Masala.

Many, many, pages are tabbed, and I've already made several of the recipes. So far, Matt & I've liked the results.

So when I scheduled Cashew Chicken & Cumin-and-Cardamom-Scented Basmati, I expected good things.

And so there was a lot of cooking of spices, grinding of cashews, stirring, mixing, etc.

And when it was served up...we both found ourselves with no more than 'eh'.

The chicken (or Veat) was...kind of bland. Despite cinnamon and cloves and cumin and more, regardless of all those cashews, it was no better than bleah.

The rice, as well, disappointed. Spices roasted, rice, then water. Smelled lovely, but there were so many spices, it was almost physically impossible to eat. Seemed as though all we did was bite down on the cumin, coriander or cardamom.

We dumped the rice, and I gave my faux chicken to the dogs. Matt barely finished his.

I suppose every cookbook has to have a few duds. It's just a let-down when you've spent an hour or so over the stove!




Tagged with: + + + + + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Alexa said...

I'm sorry that your curry didn't turn out. Indian food is so delightful but you're right it's time consuming as well. I hope the next one is hit!:-)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Bummer--I have both books and ate in his restaurant, Devi when I was in New York. I was just thinking of making a butter chicken recipe because the one we had at Devi was so good. I think I also had this recipe tabbed too. I'll remove the tab--Thanks!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Alexa...thanks. We're big fans of Indian cuisine in our house, so we'll keep plugging away.

In fact, I have two more of his recipes coming up within the next week!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb...I think we made the butter chicken recipe! And it was good, as I recalled. Definitely give that a try!

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Arundathi said...

oh i'm sorry it turned out badly. i agree that its a lot of work but not all indian cuisine has so many spices and grinding etc. there are lots of simple fresh indian dishes that taste as good as the internationally known dals and curries! :) hope you soon find something in his book that you like!

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Good to know on the butter chicken!

I know you probably have too many to count, but I left a Blog Award on my site for you. ;-)

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Arundathi; thank you!

Well, we're more than happy to return to Madhur in a pinch; and of course, we have a really good restaurant in town...too bad they don't deliver!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb...thank you so much!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker