Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wartime Wednesdays: Waldorf Salad

.




Utensils Needed for Salad Making

A chilled earthenware bowl is excellent for mixing salad ingredients. Two forks or a fork and a spoon are better to use in folding together the ingredients than a spoon alone, because they do not crush the materials so much as a single utensil.
A sharp-edged knife or vegetable cutter is necessary for slicing vegetables or fruits. Where fruit pulp is to be removed from the thin white membrane enclosing it, a thin narrow knife slightly curved at the tip is useful. A pair of shears can be used for many of the processes of salad making, such as shredding lettuce, clipping off the wilted or discolored edges, etc.
Various fancy shapes for molding individual salads may be bought, or tea-cups or small bowls may be used as molds. Gelatin salads may be put into pans and cut in square or fancy shapes after they have hardened. The cube trays of mechanical refrigerators are excellent for molding gelatin.
---The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book, Wartime Edition


Wartime Wednesdays returns!! Things and stuff, got in the way. And I realized it's been about eight months since WW was active. Felt it was time to do something about that.

The Waldorf Salad dates back to 1893, and linked to the iconic Waldorf-Astoria Hotel which opened more than sixty years prior.

It's a simple salad, really, and one that perhaps has fallen out of favor over the past decade or so. The Waldorf Salad has a definite 'retro' vibe.

Diced apple & celery, and broken nuts are mixed with a (house-made) French dressing (the one I used did not use mayo, but rather oil), then mayo is added in. Mix, and serve on lettuce.

Everything old is new again, right?







You're invited to celebrate Blog Party's 3rd anniversary! Make this a fantastic party...there's just a few more days to get your your Blogger's Choice RSVP's to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com; no later than Tomorrow, Thursday, 24 July. Hope to see you there!



Tagged with: + + + + + + +

4 Thoughts for food:

At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Waldorf Salad. Call me old fashioned but it is just about my favourite summer salad. I just looked at this recipe in my copy of this cookbook.

I can make it and still adhere to the Pantry Plan.

Good to see Wartime Wednesday back.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Melody said...

Waldorf salad is my favorite anytime of the year salad. I like it with raisins too.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mary...I love that you have a copy, too! I think of you sometimes when I'm making something from it.

I think Waldorf Salad is a pretty good, too...thank goodness I'm not even remotely trendy!

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Melody, I'll skip the raisins, but yeah...it's good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker