Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Show Me Yours & I'll Show You Mine, Part 2

.



Deb & Natashya, we're half-way there.

Part 2 of my never-ending cookbook collection. This batch lives in the kitchen, next to the old, double-sink & another set of shelves holding a large portion of our gadgets, and above where the dishwasher would be if we even found a day when we were caught up.





Bottom shelf is ethnic. Once upon a time it was organized by cuisine/region, but those days have long passed.



Some of the ethnic volumes bleed onto the middle shelf, with the rest of the space filled by most of our vegetarian books. Yes, I like Moosewood...what's your point?





The top shelf is a sort of catch-all; basic & general purpose books, a batch of down-home volumes, and the like.



And because I just know you're squinting, trying to read the spines, I've included photos of ALL the books. Just click on them to see them better.













































We're cranking up the flavor for this month's Blog Party; it's time to Spice it Up!

Hope to see you there.

12 Thoughts for food:

At 3:03 AM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Oh my--you really did put both of us to shame! I see lots of cookbooks we have in common too. I love me some Moosewood too! Can't believe we are only halfway there!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger barbie2be said...

sweet cracker sandwich, you have a ton of cookbooks!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Ravi said...

Stephanie, that is one amazing collection but seeing the huge pile of your books has raised lot of questions within me like how to remember what you've read like say you read a nice recipe but how do you track it back to the book later? And do you have any particular sorting/storing mechanism to retrieve books on any specific order like title, author, country specific, ingredient specific, category wise? and does the list also have hand-written mom/grand-mom diaries as well (I think I saw one of those in one of your earlier posts).

Oops, spare me for the questions Stephanie but hats off to your collection. I am sure some of the books in your collections are also priceless antiques!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb...um, you mean, you don't have this many???

I'm pretty sure there a couple more Moosewood's around, but we're still getting them all back on shelves. Or, at least, the one's that actually had shelf space once.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

barbie...but, but...there aren't That many!


Are there?

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ravi, it's ok! I'll do my best to answer.

Well, between the two of us, we have pretty good memories. So we can usually pull the right book if we need it. And of course, there's the almight Sticky Tab! That helps, as well.

When the collection was smaller, it was much easier to sort them. Now, I have a general idea of what goes where, but now that I've run out of shelf space, there are literally piles of books on the dining room floor. So, it gets trickier these days.

No, my family never really did anything like that. My Grammy clipped recipes, as well as collected them from family and friends, but nothing else, really.

I don't know that any are truly valuable, in a monetary sense, but they mean a lot to me.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Ravi said...

Wow, thanks for taking time to reply to my questions, Stephanie. I enjoyed reading them as much as I enjoyed seeing your book collection. :)

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ravi...of course!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I have three or four of the Moosewood Cookbooks. I went their a couple times and yah know I didn't find the food great. And its funny because I love their recipes. Every one of them that I have made has come out great. Must be me. ~just kidding. Maybe I just had very high expectations.

 
At 4:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I love your book collection! I don't feel so bad about how many I have got now - in fact, I think I may just be due a visit to the book shop!

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lori...wow, that's sad to hear. It's been a goal of mine to get there some day. Maybe you were there on off days?

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Helen, I'm happy to help!

I honestly didn't think it was too bad till I started photographing them; but with two more sets to reveal, I'm beginning to think I might have a problem...!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker