Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Product Review: New West Knife Works

.



Santoku

I was contacted some weeks ago by New West Knife Works; a small company in Jackson Hole, Wyoming to see if I would be interested in trying out one of their knives. Naturally, I said I'd love to.


Lindsey & I had some nice back-and-forth, and I was asked to pick the knife I'd like to test. The truth was, they were all so gorgeous I couldn't decide. Matt & I poured over their catalog, and I narrowed it down to three models. I then told Lindsey to pick for me!

To my immense surprise, what arrived on my porch was not one but two functional works of art. The stunning Santoku, above, and the Chopper, pictured below.

Admittedly, there was a certain amount of time spent simply admiring the knives. I don't know that I've ever seen more attractive cutlery.

But we all know it's about substance, and not flash, so the true test came this past week or so as I had some pretty chop-heavy recipes lined up. Sushi, jambalaya (twice), chili, empanadas; the sheer quantity of vegetables and meats/fake meats was astounding.

I often find knives are too light or too heavy or...something. I also have small hands, yes. But when I started using the NWKW knives? It was perfect. The weight, the balance, the feel.

And oh my; these knives are sharp. Nothing I cut, no onion or chunk of beef, not even slightly frozen chicken, could stop it. Everything sliced through like butter. It was almost as if the knife didn't need me; a bit of direction & look! Your stuff's cut.





The Chopper


Both knives got a work out; and both were fantastic. I didn't know you could be in love with a utensil! But it's true. We have some pretty good knives already; including two ceramic. I thought they were the epitome of slicing & dicing. But...I've had a change of heart. I still like my ceramics, but the New West Knife Works knives? They're my first-choice now.

The company has a decent selection of knives, and I'll be honest: they're not cheap. But as Matt said, "Is a knife really worth $200.00? The answer is yeah, it kind of is."

They run from the $45.00 Mini-Paring to the $250.00 Sashimi knife. There is definitely a range!

The knives are divided into two collections; Fusionwood & Phoenix. The Fusionwood have a bit of an old West flair to them, while the Phoenix have a decidedly sleeker & contemporary design. Really, it doesn't matter which collection you go with; both are beautiful.

So, it comes down to this. New West Knife Works makes some darn fine knives. Good craftsmanship, fantastic cutting & slicing, and looks good on your counter tops, too!

And I've been walking around saying 'Jackson Hole' for days...

6 Thoughts for food:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Brilynn said...

Those knives are gorgeous! Good to hear they're functional too!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn...aren't they? There was literal ooohing & aaaahing when they showed up.

But yes, they are really good knives!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Cookie baker Lynn said...

Wow, what beautiful knives. I'll have to check them out.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lynn; you really should...they're wonderful.

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

My husband insists on the best tools for his woodcarving as well as his other tools for the garage. When I was complaining about the costs of a good pan set or dishes, he told me 'You MUST HAVE THE RIGHT AND BEST TOOLS to do the job at hand." I think that is so true. Men are sometimes more eager to pay top dollar than women, or at least it has been my observation of most men and women I know.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cindy, I think it's perhaps the compulsion to bargain-hunt, and the usual 'mom-as-martyr' syndrome, that keeps us from shelling out the big bucks for things for US.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker