Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, January 25, 2008

But Who's Counting?

.



I don't really think of myself as a romantic person; I tend to shy away from anything resembling what I call 'schmaltz'. Sure, I enjoy getting flowers, but the usual romantic overtures just leave me feeling...weird and icky.

That said, Matt & I...rather early on...got into the habit of celebrating various aspects of our relationship. Wedding, of course. But there's also the day I first flew to California to see him, the day I moved there permanently, and of course, the anniversary of when we first 'met'.

For those not in the know, Matt & I got together not through the machinations of scheming friends, or through the smoke-filled haze of some local hang out.

Nope. We met through an on-line dating service! My so-called digital life, indeed.

I'd recently ended a rather unpleasant relationship (he exhibited over half the signs of an {emotional} abuser), and had more-or-less given up on the guys in my hometown. For fun, or as I often tell it, 'a giggle', I signed up for a seven-day, free, trial to a dating service, spotted after sending an e-card to a friend. I figured, what the heck...what do I have to lose?

So, I filled out my info, sent it in and waited.

And waited.

Nothing. Not a single reply.

My already damaged self-esteem (see above) was in panic mode. Although I hadn't really taken the whole thing seriously, to be rejected when I wasn't even trying? Brutal.

Then, with (I believe) a day left on my free trial, I realized I'd been an idiot: I'd not made my profile public. I wasn't getting any hits (so I choose to believe) because No One Could Find Me.

Again, for fun, I did a search for guys fitting my criteria. The sixty+ dude who was clearly just looking for some young hot thing for a 'good time' always made me throw up a little...

But then, I saw Matt's profile.

To this day, I can't remember what it said. I know it was funny. It made me laugh out loud. He sounded great...funny, smart, a sense of humor I could appreciate.

Of course, we lived on opposite ends of the country, but I decided to email him, anyway. I gave him my 'real' address, as the trial was about to expire and I remembered how much I disliked dating, even virtually and therefore had no intention of paying for the privilege of rejection and/or unsuitable matches.

He wrote back quickly. There was no intention, whatsoever, of pursuing a 'dating' relationship, but it was clear we got each other. We're both quippy, with strong literary and pop-culture backgrounds. That can be dangerous. We loved food and cooking. There were so many reasons to continue getting to know each other, even while realizing it might be painful in the end. After all, we were thousands of miles apart.

It took less than four months for us to realize we were in love. We courted over the 'Net, via email. We spoke on the telephone once or twice. Finally, about eight months later, I flew out to celebrate his birthday. It was wonderful, and I hated the thought of leaving, sure I'd never see him again. He came to Pennsylvania for New Year's.

Three months later, I moved to California. Two years later, we were married. One year more, Alex was born.

And while we have many 'official' celebrations, i.e. wedding, Valentine's, and so on, for us, that cold & lonely day in January...the one that almost didn't happen...is most important of all.

To celebrate, I made Ina's Fillet of Beef au Poivre for Matt. I would have made the accompanying matchstick potatoes, but we decided it wasn't worth messing with the oil for one serving.
Instead, we used frozen fries and seasoned them with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. They smelled divine.

So, happy 9th 'meeting you' anniversary, Matt...not that I'm counting.

22 Thoughts for food:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Sigh. I love romantic tales. Happy anniversary to you both. :)

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Awww. I'm pretty sure you told us this story when we were at your place, but it's still so great. Congrats to the both of you!:)

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Liudwih said...

My husband and Ilived 5 hours apart.(not as far as yours) But we too met a dating site. Moved in 6months later. Married a year later. Now we have been married for 3 years!

Congrats!!!!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Oh, my...nine years? Has it really been that long? ;)

Happy anniversary!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger slush said...

I love to hear the stories of how people met. And its even better when its still working years down the road. It doesnt get better then that. Congrats!

And your dinner looks fantastic!

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Cakelaw said...

Great meeting story! Congratulations to you and Matt on knowing each other for 9 years!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger dina (Lucas' mom) said...

That is such a great story. And the steak ain't bad either ;)

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

There is no telling how you will meet the love of your life!Congratulations!!

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Lysy said...

What a lovely story! I just celebrated my 8-year 'meeting you' anniversary with my other half too (Burns Night party) - but he had to cook his own sausages for it!

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Emma Nowell said...

My (now) husband and I met online 5 years ago... I too wasn't looking for anything but we also "got" each other in a way I never had with anyone else. We got married a year ago! Congratulations, we are the lucky ones aren't we :)

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Zipi said...

What A beautiful story.

Happy Anniversary from far Israel.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Wendy!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Zarah!

Yes, I think I did...that was what, two years ago already?

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Liudwih!

Dating is hard enough; anything that makes it less painful is ok in my book.

Congrats to you, too!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erin...I know! A serious case of 'where has the time gone' if I ever knew one.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Slush!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Cakelaw!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Deeeeeeena@ He very much enjoyed it.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

BV: 'strange ways', indeed. Thanks!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lysy...congrats to you, as well!

The nice thing is? Matt's more than happy to do the cooking. I just rarely let him!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Emma...you aren't kidding. Sure beats hanging in bars waiting for 'mr. right'...

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Zipi!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker