Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

The 4 W's of Wartime Wednesdays: Who, What, Where and Why

.



During the summer of '06, my father-in-law continued his clearinghouse, and Matt and I found ourselves on the receiving end of a number of serving dishes, jelly jars, and cookbooks.

One of these cookbooks was The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book, an absolute gem in hardcover form. Not quite 1000 pages of menus, recipes, food prep and serving etiquette for the 1940's housewife. A real treasure.

I was so enamored of this book, I decided to (selectively) work my way through, preparing at least one recipe each week.

Thus, Wartime Wednesdays was born!

Below, a list of the dishes made so far. Enjoy.



Roast Beef Dinner


Scalloped Chicken

Corn Oysters and Welsh Rarebit

Tunafish Salad and Chocolate Drop Cookies

Butterscotch Buttermilk Biscuits

Coffee Cake

Cheese Omelet and Hash Browns

Baking Soda Buckwheat Cakes

Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping

Chicken Club Sandwich

Butterscotch Toast

Country Club Sandwiches

Rolled Cinnamon Bread

Egg & Bacon Cornbread Breakfast Sandwich

Hot Biscuit Sandwiches

Welsh Rarebit

Eggs Au Gratin

Manly Dinner

Baked Eggs in Bacon

Burgundian Beef

Griddlecakes

Buttermilk Biscuit Breakfast

Potato Omelet

Butterscotch

Roast Chicken

Angel Cake

2 Thoughts for food:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger breadchick said...

Stephanie, I have this cookbook as well (my grandmother's copy). I love to cook from it as well. I have even tried a few of the sweets from the 'wartime' section. Of course, making the 2 layer cake means lots of canned fruit to get the "sugar". Glad to see someone else likes this book as much as I do.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi breadchick!

How wonderful!

I get such a kick out of this book...I really need to get back to my WW; I got so busy during the holidays, I let it slide...and haven't gotten back to it yet.

It's tough, though...some of the recipes; well, I mean...they're barely edible, by today's standards, you know what I mean??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker