Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wartime Wednesday: Country Club Sandwiches

.



Sandwiches
"An encyclopedia published about 1900 defines a sandwich as "an article of food consisting of a slice of meat, fish, fowl or other food placed between two slices of bread, which may be plain of buttered." No such simple definition could be given today, for from these simple beginnings the sandwich has developed in all directions, and has adapted itself to such varied needs that it ranges from a fragile morsel served with afternoon tea to an elaborate combination of toast, meat, lettuce, tomato, sauce, and any number of other things, which combine to make it a complete and satisfying meal."---The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book, pub. 1943


This was an interesting sandwich. Butter slices of toast, on each lay slices of cooked sausage. Cover with tomato sauce; sprinkle with cheese. On this lay a strip of bacon, and bake in a hot oven until the bacon is crispy.

Surprisingly good, if a bit awkward to eat. I used a slightly thicker bread, I suppose, but it was still a rather satisfying...and filling...sandwich.




Blog Party#26 is coming, and this month, we're focusing on What's Inside! All your favorite appetizers with something to hide, and drinks, too...if you can manage!
Entries are due tomorrow, 20 September; hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + + + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger breadchick said...

I have the Victory Binding of this cookbook too! I love reading it and cooking from the wartime section. I'm dying to try one of the cakes that doesn't use sugar as a sweetener. I'll get brave one day. This sandwich does look interesting.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger daphne said...

man, that looks great. sinfully good.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Erika W. said...

I love your Wartime Wednesday posts. It always inspires me to go pull out my grandmother's old cookbooks.

This in particular, looks perfectly up the DH's alley. I'll have to keep that in mind for a football day.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Melody said...

I have been a long time reader and fan of your blog and recipes.

I am also in awe of your coordination abilities with Blogging By Mail. I am excited to participate the next time and was wondering when you plan on the next round.

Toodles

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Breadchick! I remembered that you have it...I can't quite bring myself to go all honey and maple syrup based just yet; I'm having fun going through the bulk of the book as is.

But it's such an amazing book!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Daphne! It's so easy to make, which of course, is appealing.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Erika!

Awww...thanks! I have a lot of fun doing it, but it's nice to know someone else appreciates it, too!

I'm sure he'd love it. Definitely a 'manly' sandwich!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi MK99!

Why, thank you!

Oh, BBM...yes, it's a bit of work, but it pays off. I meet lots of people, and I know I'm partially responsible for the happiness a box of goodies brings to someone!

I do hope to get another round going...maybe in a month or so?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker