Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wartime Wednesday: Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping

.



Well, after a long hiatus, Wartime Wednesdays is back.

Each Wednesday, I'll showcase a recipe from The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book, a marvelous old tome filled with everything you could ever want to know about cooking, serving, and hostessing a dinner party. From table settings to cocktails, it's there.

This week I'm easing back into things with a rather simple breakfast food, the coffee cake.

There wasn't anything special about it, but it did it's job.

A very basic batter that nearly gave me a fit when it didn't seem to cover the bottom of the pan(?), topped with a crunchy coating made with breadcrumbs.

Well, as you can see, it rose wonderfully (thank you, baking powder), and the guys were very happy with it.

From Matt: "good breakfast food, not too sweet, tender, with a little crunchiness"

From Alex: "bit of sugar, sooo cinnamon-y, fun to eat, crunchy on the outside, tasty"





Tagged with: + + + Wartime +

4 Thoughts for food:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger daphne said...

that coffee cake with crumbs topping looks unique to me. From your boys review, the crunchy topping certainly appeals to me!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Daphne; using bread crumbs in the topping is not unheard of, but not used as much these days.

And yeah, they both liked it...and it makes a nine-inch square, so there's plenty!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

Steph, anything with cinnamon has a very special place in my heart!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Patricia; it is one of the most wonderful spices in the world!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker