Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wartime Wednesdays: Angel Cake

.



Standard Method of Mixing Cakes Without Fat

Cakes without fat depend for leavening largely upon the air beaten into the eggs. The whites and yolks of the eggs may or may not be separated, depending upon the kind of cake. If using the whole egg, beat it till thick and lemon-colored; if using only the yolk, beat till thick and light in color; add the sugar gradually and beat after each addition until the sugar dissolves.
Add the flavoring and liquid, if there is any, and fold in the sifted dry ingredients.
When the whites have been beaten separately, they are added last, using the folding motion. Do not beat the mixture after the whites have been added. Place at once in a slow oven(300-325 F).

---The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book; Wartime Edition; published 1943


I've had a craving for Angelfood cake lately; and oh look; the VBotAMCB had one. Convenient.

Seven egg whites, beaten with sugar, cream of tartar & salt till 'stiff foam', vanilla mixed in (couldn't find the almond extract also called for, which is fine by me), the 4x sifted flour & a big of sugar folded in, then poured into an ungreased tube pan. Bake in a moderate oven till done.

Good flavor, nice crumb. Much more dense than expected, but tasty. Freezing the rest to save for grilling this weekend.










This month, we're sleeping in a little late, but the party won't suffer...we're having Brunch!

RSVP by Friday, 20 March

4 Thoughts for food:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Brilynn said...

With the amount of egg yolks I use up making ice cream, I really should make angel food cake more often.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am fascinated by wartime and old-timey cooking. I heart my old cookbooks very much.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn, that would be an excellent use!

I don't know why I don't make this more often; I absolutely love it. I guess I never think about it.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Curiousdomestic; there is something very comforting about those books, isn't there? Ok...some of the recipes make me want to vomit, but I can just skip those pages!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker