Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wartime Wednesdays: Potato Omelet

.



Sample Breakfasts

Pineapple Juice
Prepared Cereal
Poached Eggs on
Wholewheat Toast
Milk, Coffee

Oatmeal with Prunes
Slab Bacon
Cinnamon Toast
Milk, Coffee

Apple Juice
Cracked Wheat Cereal
Sweet Rolls
Milk, Coffee

Tomato Juice
Soft-cooked Eggs
Corn-bread, Honey
Milk, Coffee

---The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book; Wartime Edition published 1943

This lovely omelet, simple in it's preparation, made a good breakfast for Matt. The recipe called for cold boiled potatoes, I used some grilled potato wedges we had left over from the day we grilled. You know, that day it got into the seventies. In early February.

Dice the potatoes, add to some heated bacon fat & season with pepper and salt. Cook about five minutes. Add some lightly beaten eggs, with just a bit of milk added, and cook till set. Flip over, finish cooking.

Now, I did in fact use bacon fat. It seems odd, I know, for me to have my own bacon fat supply. But I grew up in a house, my grandparent's house, which always had a ceramic pot of bacon grease. It sat on the stove, center back. If you were frying up some cold boiled potatoes, or making scrambled eggs, you always added a spoonful of fat. Something I tried to tell Matt; unfortunately his taste-buds aren't as sensitive as mine so the flavor is usually lost on him.

But for years now, I've been saving the bacon fat (ok, I occasionally give it to the dogs, over their food) in a Tupperware container, for occasions exactly like this.









We're cranking up the flavor for this month's Blog Party; it's time to Spice it Up!

Hope to see you there.

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker