Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Show Me Yours, & I'll Show You Mine: Part 1

.



A couple of months ago, Deb & Natashya decided to share their cookbook shelves/tables/rooms with the world. I wanted to join in, but there's this little problem...my cookbooks are quite literally scattered all over the house.

There's a set of shelves in the kitchen, two in the dining room, a couple of boxes upstairs, not to mention all the piles of stacked books on the dining room floor. No, really. They're waiting for scientists to create those couple extra hours for each day so Matt can build me a new shelf to store them in.

Finally, I got tired of waiting. None of my shelves are neat or even organized these days. They started that way, they really did. But too...I mean so many books & a house with no storage whatsoever changes that.

This is one of the shelves in our dining room. Originally, the top shelf was appetizers/holidays/entertaining, the second retro & the rest dedicated to magazines of various persuasions.



On the top, some over-sized books, mostly ethnic. Pretty but not favorited.



This is now a jumble of small bite, party, holiday, tea and picnic books.



Here's the majority of my retro book. Lovely Collector's Press volumes, books from old-time celebs, and others dating back as far as the early nineteen hundreds.



It's also home to a few superhero items. Here, billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne reclines against Pad Parties...



while Batman & the Joker are resting from their eternal battle of 'good vs. evil' in the vintage book section.



Diana must have left her ring behind the last time she was here, but who knew Bats played with yo-yo's? I thought he only pummeled them.



Cooking magazines: Vegetarian Times, Bon Apetit, Gourmet, Food & Wine plus odds & ends, loose recipes from clippings or printed from the computer, and a few brunch/breakfast-themed books.



This bottom shelf is almost entirely Gourmet; some of them going back to the first days of the magazine. Scattered around the house is 60 years of Gourmet!

It's only the beginning...but feel free to show me yours anytime!







We're cranking up the flavor for this month's Blog Party; it's time to Spice it Up!

Hope to see you there.

6 Thoughts for food:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger NKP said...

Wow! That is impressive - such a variety of vintage recipes.
I especially love that your Gourmet collection goes back so far! Did you inherit them?
Good thing you have such a strong team protecting your treasures.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Natashya...thanks. And that's the smallest shelf!

My father-in-law gave me some, but I bought huge boxes of the older ones online. It's so amazing, reading & watching the magazine change over the yaers. The style of the recipes, the format of the mag itself, the types of advertising. Like little paper time capsules!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Oh my... that puts my paltry little "collection" in the shade! With a little luck, we will be in a new house by the summer and I will be able to ship over all my books from South Africa and assemble my own collection, together at last :)

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Oh My!! And I thought I had it bad! ;-) Great collection. I love all the vintage ones. Viewing even part of your collection was worth the wait!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne; ha! If you think that's something, you should see our non-cookbooks! We're building a library in an attempt to shelve them all!

New house? How exciting. So, you're staying put? No transfer to Chicago, then...how on Earth are we ever going to get together??

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, Deb...my dining room is part obstacle course these days. Must maneuver past the talls stacks of books!

I hope to get the rest posted soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker