Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Blog Party# 42: Tiki, Two---The Round-Up

.




Come on in, and welcome to another Blog Party! The spirit of the island is roaming free tonight, so stress, worries, etc are to be left on the porch, got it?

We have a cozy little group with us, and we've definitely got them in the mood with some fantastic music, starting with Mondo Exotica, from Ultra-Lounge, my old stand-by.




mixing in with Tahiti Dances to Drums of Bora Bora & Papeet




as well as Voodoo II




With all the food & drinks, we'll need napkins. And these wonderfully retro hula napkins are perfect.




As you've noticed, the tables are decorated with glass bowls, filled with water & these beautiful floating flower lights, in blue & red. So pretty.






For those who need it, here's some fierce tiki shot glasses.




And as it's all ladies here, we have grass skirts for anyone brave enough!




But now, we move on to the food. Yes, I'm aware of my sparkling wit & charming company but I'm not fooled: I know what you're really here for!

First one in, and coming to us from a tropical paradise, is Deb! Good to see you.
Tonight, she's giving a retro 'island' favorite a new twist with these lovely Turkey Bacon-Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms; mmm; they do look good!
Keeping the island theme going, she's serving up tall glasses of Pineapple-Mango Paradise; oh, I am definitely trying that!
Thanks ever so much for flying all that way just to help us recreate what you get to live every day, Deb!



Sarina's the next one here; she also left those fabulous tropics to brave the cold for our party; welcome!
She's got the perfect hand-held treat for us, too: Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce. One of my favorites (veg version, of course)
And channeling Trader Vic himself, she has plenty of 'Raw’ Frozen Virgin Banana Daiquiris to go around!
Wonderful as ever, Sarina; thank you!


What a wonderful surprise! And old, and absent friend, Johanna, has made her return to Blog Party! Welcome back!!
She may have been away awhile, but she hasn't forgotten how to BP; I know there's going to be a crowd around her Asian-Style Prawn Salad Bites; perfect party food!
She's also mixing up some rather unusual, but delicious-sounding, Tamarind Margaritas; I know you'll want to try it.
So very good to see you again, Johanna!


My Bakeanista buddy & retro-pal Mary is here! Come on in, girl; grass skirt?
No surprise to me, she dug back 20, then 40! years to find the recipes for these perfect 'Polynesian' Sweet & Sour Meatballs. Everyone, grab a skewer! Just watch where you put the pointy end!
To drink, she has a pitcher of Aloha Bubbly; a sweet & fruity glass that will go just right with the meatballs.
Happy you came, Mary!







Making her usual grand entrance, be sure to say 'hello' to J!
She may be out of breath, but she always makes us glad she's here, and tonight's no exception. Starting with Ham, Cheese & Pineapple-Filled Quarter-Roasted Sandwiches, and moving on to Chocolate-Drizzled Pineapple Skewers, and a very nice Pineapple Juice-Lemonade Drink; a favorite from her pre-legal days!
It's all wonderful, as always. Thanks so much for coming, J!


And what did I make? Glad you asked.



Faux Chicken Katsu

First, little bites of panko-coated chicken (or in this case, Quorn!), with a rather wildly flavored dipping sauce.


Firi Firi

These are Tahitian doughnuts; flavored with coconut milk. This was also the weirdest, most troublesome, dough I've ever encountered. I thought it was going to eat me! There was a battle, things did not look good for our heroine, but eventually I conquered the yeasty mass, and turned out at least six dozen fried pieces. So please; help yourself!


Mini Nana Kuli's Kona Burgers

Tiny burgers, flavored with soy & ginger & onion. Nothing outrageous, but cute.


Seaside Punch

And here we have a fantastic little drink, made from pineapple juice (of course!), cranberry juice, ginger ale, and pineapple sherbet. Not too sweet, and very pleasant.


Well, that wraps up another Blog Party! (and yay me, for only being two days late in posting) You girls are, as always, amazing.

I'll be sending you a head's up on February's theme soon; hope to see you all there!








Tagged with: + + + + + + + + + +

8 Thoughts for food:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger thepassionatecook said...

ah, thanks for your kind words, stephanie - it was my pleasure. had a great time at the party, thanks for the round-up! hope i can make it again next month!

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great roundup! :) Can't wait to try those mini burgers and chicken bites ;D Looking forward to the next one! :D

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all makes me want to be on a nice tropical island with a fruity drink in my hand!

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Another great bash! Looking forward to next months!

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Johanna, you are so welcome! I do hope you come again soon.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sarina, thanks! Help yourself.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mrs. L, only if you promise to save me a spot!

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

thank you Deb! I promise I have a soup for you this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker