Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

14 & .5

.



I rarely get cravings, and there's very little in the way of baked goods that even come close to tempting me. But I do love crossiants. Oh, my, do I ever.

Unfortunately, not since we left California have I come across a truly good one. I keep looking, of course. You know, for research purposes. Willing to give 'em a try. For science.

It's not as though I'm eating them on a daily basis, but every once in a while I just want one of those golden crescents.

To this day, I hold up the Rockridge Market Bakery as my croissant standard. I've made them a few time at home, with varying results.

After some back and forth with breadchick, I decided to give Martha's recipe a chance. Yes, she's all pretentious & whacks away at the average home cook's self-esteem (and in fact, that of women in general; I'm so sorry I don't grow my own cotton so I can make clothes for my entire family. bad, deficient, me), but she's a good source for recipes.





So yesterday was croissant-making day. I followed this recipe, and despite the fact it took well over fourteen hours from start to finish...mostly due, I think, to the near-freezing temperatures in the house stunting the dough's risings...I was fairly impressed with the results.

Perhaps my oven runs a bit high, maybe due to the tiles I keep in there at all times; whatever the reason, my croissants cooked up in considerably less time. What really mattered, though, is this: they were flaky, buttery, and good

Took me over half a day to make them. Not nearly so long for everyone else to finish them off.






Time to unpack your grass skirt, and gather your coconuts, because for our 42nd get-tether, it's Tiki, Two here at Blog Party!

Hope to see you there.

12 Thoughts for food:

At 11:55 PM, Blogger Brilynn said...

I loooove a good croissant but have only ever had the patience to make them once. Those look delicious.

 
At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.My.God. What a post to see this early in the morning! I must make these immediately. So crisp, so buttery, so flaky. I'm in heaven!!!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Dolores said...

Are you in Oakland? That's my home town (and I don't live far from there now). I LOVE Market Hall.

Can't wait to try your croissant recipe.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger breadchick said...

Thanks Stephanie...

You just added 500 calories to my morning coffee ;-)

I agree about Martha but damn most recipes, crepe cakes aside (sorry Brilynn), are pretty good.

Glad you found a day or two to give croissants a whirl.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger barbie2be said...

dude, your killing me with the butter croissants! LOVE THEM. but i have always been afraid to try making them.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn; I adore croissants. It really is just about scheduling, as they're not difficult to make. Or in my case, indoor temperature & a too-short work surface!

And thank you.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Allison, happy to help! They are so, so good. Good luck with them!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Dolores; sadly, no. We moved away almost six and a half years ago. I loved the shops at Rockridge, and all the lovely restaurants. Isobune, Great Wall, Barneys, Crepevine, Olivetto...miss them all.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

breadchick, at least they were incredible tasty calories!

Yes, I'll read her recipes, but I can't watch the show...

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

barbie...don't die on me!

You really should try them; there's nothing difficult, it's basic pastry making. It's mostly just about time. Lots of time. But you can so do this.

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look deliciously flaky and good. Can a regular not very talented cook make them do you think?

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

foodhoe; they were so very good. And I think anyone with a basic understanding of baking can make them. As I said, they're not difficult, just time-consuming. Definitely try them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker