Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, January 09, 2009

What I did on my Christmas Vacation

.



For Christmas eve day, we drove to North Carolina to spend time with my mom, step-dad & 'baby' sister. We had a lovely brunch, watched Alex get spoiled with Lego's, played with Jack & new puppy Max, and finished up with a guided tour of the Biltmore.




My mom's a pastry chef at the DeerPark, one of the restaurants on the estates. And we not only saw that, but various spots on the grounds (Alex had great fun meeting all the animals, including a retired pair of ENORMOUS work horses), the gift shop at the winery where my sister works, and a few other spots.



We also toured the Biltmore house, itself. Oh, my...gorgeous. And big. And full of steps! I don't think my knees have recovered yet (as I'm sure the Wii would be happy to tell me).

No photos allowed in the house, but I do have shots of the stables, the 'farm', and other spots. What I share with you, however, is this beautiful gingerbread house my mom & the others in her restaurant made. Isn't it lovely?

There's an even more impressive gingerbread building, of the Biltmore itself, on the lowest level of the estate. Again, no photos. Mom's promised to send a picture soon. It's...massive. I think I got a cramp in my hand just looking at all the detail work they did on that thing.






Time to unpack your grass skirt, and gather your coconuts, because for our 42nd get-tether, it's Tiki, Two here at Blog Party!

Hope to see you there.

6 Thoughts for food:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Avory said...

I'd like to go to the Biltmore house as an adult. I think we went once or twice when I was a kid but I only vaaaaaguely remember it. Tryon Palace I remember better. Actually I think I'd just like to go to Asheville sometime in the near future because I keep thinking of restaurants and shops there that I want to visit.

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to go to the Biltmore during Christmas, I am hoping we can do it this year!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I went to the Biltmore in November and had a blast. Such an amazing place!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Judith; oh, my...wear good shoes. ALL THOSE STEPS!

But it seems like a nice area. We really didn't spend much time there, but I've heard it's a pretty nice place.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jen, it's quite beautiful. Cold, but beautiful!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sarah, how funny! Next time, be sure to grab a meal at the DeerPark; that's where my mom works!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker