Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Souper Sundays: Refrigerator Soup

.





Although we've yet to meet in person, Deb of Kahakai Kitchen and I have become fast friends. We discovered we had a love of Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series, a similar approach to food & cooking, and of course, Blog Party!



She's been a regular guest at BP now, and when I saw she was starting a rather informal soup event, I swore I was going to join in.



I love soup. I mean, lovelovelove. I love eating it, I love making it. I just...don't. Not as often as I'd like.



But I'd been inspired by breadchick's 'pantry plan'; her use of ingredients already on hand...in cupboards, freezer, whatever. I had a craving for soup, and I knew I had a bunch of stuff I could use up.



So, finally getting it posted, I give you Refrigerator Soup. Truthfully, though, it could be called Kitchen Soup. The ingredients came from the fridge, pantry, cupboards, tops of cupboards...you name it.



A rummage through the veggie bins, and a search of the potato keeper: diced onions, carrots, celery & garlic sauteed in olive oil till tender. And I do mean tender; none of that 'five to ten minutes' crap. They were soft.



Next, diced Russet potatoes, skins off, cooked for...I can't remember how long.



Two cans of diced tomatoes, with juices, can of crushed tomatoes.


Simon & Garfunkel herbs left over from something made the week before.



Vegetable boullion, some water.



A can of black beans, and cup and a half of barley. Cooked till barley was tender.



It was...fantastic. So hearty, so warm & filling, almost meaty. Served with a chunk of bread, it was a perfect & virtually fat-free meal.



Of course, I can never make it again...the only downside to those rummage recipes!









This December, Blog Party is celebrating your holiday traditions!

Join us for the food & fun; RSVP no later than Thursday, 18 December. Hope to see you there!

10 Thoughts for food:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Sookie Stackhouse series too! I've caught the HBO series True Blood a couple times while traveling and don't think it does great justice to the books.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Yea! You made it! The soup looks fantastic--those clean out the cupboard creations are my favorites! I want a big bowl! Thanks for coming to Souper Sunday! See you at the Blog Party soon, my friend! ;-)

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger NKP said...

Great soup! I was cleaning up the fridge too... how most of my soups are created.
So nice to soup with you. :)

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger KC said...

The soup looks great. I also make refrigerator soup.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

badhuman; good to know another fan!

I don't get HBO, but I've been watching a few scenes on YouTube, and reading the recaps on TWOP. It seems like the Sookie-Bill stuf is consistent, but the 'fleshing out' of other characters has gone too far. I don't care for what they did with Jason; yes, he's always been a no-good-nik, but he was there for Sookie. And a respnosible, hard-working, house-proud guy. The V addiction, and joining the Fellowship? Give me a break.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb...I'm so glad I finally got my act together, and posted in time. What a great turn-out this time, too!

looking forward to hearing about your traditions...

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Natashya; thanks!

I don't do it often enough, but because we had the big Two Days After Thanksgiving Dinner, I needed all the space I could find. made me happy to use up so many things already in the house!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

KC; thank you! It's a good way to avoid waste, isn't it?

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger gail said...

I LOVE soup too! And I make nearly the EXACT same thing - except at my house it's called "what's left in the fridge soup"...hehe

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gail, soup is simply one of the best foods out there!

I think it goes by many names, but whatever it's called, it's darn good, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker