Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, September 22, 2006

SHF: Surprise!

.

Surprise! Alanna of Veggie Venture is hosting this month's Sugar High Friday, one of my favorite foodie events. Don't think a veg-heavy blogger can do lots of sugary goodness? Think again.

This month's theme, Surprise Inside, just happened to coincide with my two-day baking frenzy, as I'd signed up to bring baked goods to the Fall Festival, going on this evening, at Alex's school (this is their one fund-raiser for the school year).

I'd already planned to make my chocolate chip cookies, as well as a couple of focaccias and four loaves of ciabatta, but I thought I'd do cupcakes, too.

Now, neither of these are new to Dispensing Happiness, but they do fit: each contains a surprise inside!





First, the home-style version of the Hostess cupcake; little chocolate cakes made light and airy with whipped egg whites, filled with a creamy frosting, coated with a dark chocolate ganache, then decorated with those cute, tell-tale, squiggles.



Then there's the Dulce de Leche-filled Dark Chocolate Cupcakes...



Incredibly dark, moist jumbo cakes, cavities filled with just-made caramel, and then topped with ganache and dollops of even more caramel.

Unfortunately, I haven't any pictures of the cupcakes sliced in two; all 24 cakes have been boxed up, along with the breads and cookies, and are awaiting delivery and subsequent pricing, for tonight's bake sale.

But they sure are good!



Tagged with: + + + + +

13 Thoughts for food:

At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. These look delicious!! Chocolate overload with a surprise inside - that's amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

these look great! you and i think so alike... my SHF was a molten lava cake with caramel inside. :)

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yum, yum, yum!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Veuveclicquot;

Thanks! They're really good cupcakes, both. But the Dark Chocolate ones are divine. Matt's favorite cake recipe, hands down.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Barbie2be;

Hey...chocolate and caramel? How can you go wrong??

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jen;

Yes, yes, yes!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Randi said...

Hey, I got my package. I'll write it up tomorrow.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Great!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Hope they went for $$$! Thanks for playing with Surprise Inside, for sure! Look for the round-up later today.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Alanna;

Thanks, I hope they did, too!

Alex was sent home early Friday, because he was sick, and we ended up not even going out to the Festival!!

So, I'm hoping Matt can find out how they did tomorrow when he drops Alex off (he's much better...amazing what twelve hours sleep can do for the human body, eh?)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Josie said...

Great entry! There's something about those Hostess Squiggles that just puts a smile on my face!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Josie said...

Great entry! There's something about those Hostess Squiggles that just puts a smile on my face!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Josie!

They kind of make me smile, too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker