Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, August 07, 2024

Wartime Wednesdays: 20th Anniversary Edition- Potato Omelet

.

 

Potato Omelet


To ease ourselves back into Wartime Wednesdays, start with the most important meal of the day: breakfast!


"To test an egg for freshness, place it in a glass of water. If the egg falls to the bottom of the glass and lies on its side, it is a fresh egg; if the large end rises slightly, the egg is somewhat stale; if it stands on end or floats, it is very stale. The shell of a fresh egg has a bloom; that of a stale egg is usually shiny. If the contents of an egg rattle when it is shaken, it is not fresh."

The Victory Binding of the American Woman's Cook Book; Wartime Edition---published 1943

This recipe calls for cold boiled potatoes, but does not specify the type, or if they should be peeled (I don't mind a bit of peel, myself). I did a quick bit of research, and Russets seemed to be the widely available spud at the time.
I did peel the potatoes, but I wasn't precious about it.

They are cubed and cooked in bacon fat - so first, cook some bacon! 

Mt grandparents kept a bacon grease pot on the stove, which, genius. But since only Matt eats actual bacon and because I love him and want him to live for many more years, I try not to feed it too him that often. 
We are without a bacon fat pot.

Anyway, bacon gets cooked and removed, grease left in pan. Tiny cubes of cold potato get cooked in the fat with 'the seasonings' (1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 pepper; oh, how cute) for a few minutes. 

Two eggs get beaten with a little bit of milk, then poured over the potatoes. 

Cook until set, fold, and turn on to 'a hot plate'.  I really do not want to be a 1940's housewife. 

It was simple, but despite the what...six ingredients...he said it was not only really tasty, but filling. I guess those ladies at the Culinary Arts Institute, The Delineator Cook Book, and College of Home Economics, Cornell University, knew what they were doing. 


A reminder that I'll be bringing Wartime Wednesdays back all month, and Blog Party will be making its return on the 17th!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker