Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, July 30, 2024

By Request

.

Italian Wedding Soup


The first time I tried Italian Wedding Soup, it was at...The Olive Garden.

Back in the early 90's!

I was visiting a friend who'd moved to Pittsburgh, and this was our Nice Dinner Out. 

Coming from a very small town where dining out meant Pizza Hut, McD's...or a fish fry, a place like TOG was a step up. Fancy. The bread! I mean, The Bread.  People. Genius marketing. 


I didn't have it again until I got married, about a decade later.  Our families (mostly mine) made the food - the hall was Celtic-themed, but the food (sans the must-have cookie table) was Italian.  There was even venison ragout (caught by a cousin - like I said, SMALL TOWN). 

And Italian Wedding Soup. 


There were two versions: one following the recipe exactly, the other using veggie stock and a plant-based sausage meat for the meatballs.  

I barely ate at the reception (and ours was more like a large party than a Wedding Reception), but there were leftovers, and we had a day before our flight to Ireland.
So I ate as much as I could in that time.

In the 22 years since that day, I've made this soup a lot.

Like..a lot a lot.

It's getting harder to manage, as forming the several hundred tiny meatballs (two versions), and turning the carrot & celery into veggie confetti takes a toll on me (it can require days to recover), but dang it all; I love this stuff.

So does Alex.

When I plan the menu for the next week, I always ask him if there's something he'd like to have.  He is, 86% of the time, unhelpful and uninterested. 

But every now & then, he'll ask for something.

Recently, it was Italian Wedding Soup. And I was happy to make it.

I no longer use a recipe. It's meatballs - a mix of beef/pork (faux versions as well), breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, s&p, some kind of grating cheese. Keep it simple. Make so many.

The soup base is likewise basic: the tiniest flecks of celery & carrot slowly cooked down in a super-small splash of olive oil. Stock (usually, a veg stock, but my god; it's so difficult to find one that isn't low-sodium/low-fat!). Get that seasoned to your preference, add ancini di pepe (which has to be ordered). 
Because I make one stock, we ladle that in first, then add the meatballs (warmed up) to individual bowls. 

It's easy. It's good. It's comforting. 

And my kid thinks so, too. 



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker