Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wartime Wednesdays: Meatless Meals

.

Another Wartime Wednesday, working through a true door-stop of a book.

This week, we take the meatless route, as many a household did during the war years.

Nice and light, Corn Oysters and Welsh Rarebit




No oysters were harmed in the making of this dish!



Canned sweet corn, chopped as finely as possible, mixed with a little melted butter and flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, and fried in hot oil till golden.

So, light, so airy; and unbelievably good! Matt liked them so much, he was thinking of other dishes to pair them with.



A slightly different recipe; shredded cheese, butter, paprika, mustard and Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian), melted in a double boiler. To this add ginger ale, then a lightly beaten egg!

A bit salty, and the tiny amount of mustard really came through. But served over toast (or crackers, as suggested in the book), it was really quite good. Doesn't reheat well, though.


Another helpful tip for the wartime housewife:

What To Buy To Build Healthful Menus

The food dollar will be used to advantage and serve all it's necessary purposes, if it is divided into five, spent and served as follows:

ONE-FIFTH or more for whole milk, cream, cheese and cod-liver oil for growing children. Plan to give each child 1 quart and each adult at least 1 pint milk in some form, per day.

ONE-FIFTH for vegetables and fruit, with emphasis on the green leaf and yellow fruits and vegetables. Serve at least 1 cooked vegetable, besides potatoes, and 1 fresh vegetable each day. Serve fresh fruit twice a day, with citrus fruit at least once.

ONE-FIFTH or less for meats, fish and eggs, serving liver in some form at least once a week.

ONE-FIFTH for breads, and cereals, especially the whole grains.

ONE-FIFTH for fats, sugar and other groceries.





Blog Party#15 is here, and this month, we're hitting the books! That's right, we're taking inspiration from our favorite stories and turning them into appetizers and cocktails! Post your dishes no later than Thursday, 19 October...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, the 21st. Hope to see you there!



Tagged with: + + + + + + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

oh yum! those look like what we call corn fritters.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm sure it's very much the same, although these are much airier than any I've had before.

I think the name comes from the shape!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Mmmmm, corn fritters!! Those look quite heavenly and I'll have to give them a try. My mom used to do corn fritters sometimes with a chunk of vienna sausage on the inside - it was my favourite winter treat as a kid!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I just ate but I am still hungry after looking at those corn fritters you made. Have ya ever tried using that Mexicorn instead?

Chris
My Blog

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne; thanks!

They were so good...and I couldn't get over how easily they came together.

Adding the sausage sounds divine, too!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Chris; I must being doing something right...

This is just the first time we've made this, but I'm sure a little extra flavor would be yummy.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Those corn oysters look amazing! I make corn fritters, but they don't look anywhere close to that good.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sara, they're so easy...you really should try them!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Do you ever post the recipes you right about? Probably a silly question... but I just found your blog...

My husband talks about Corn Oysters all the time, remembers his mom and his grandma making them growing up. I've never been able to get a recipe. Seen a few recipes for fritters, but nothing named Corn Oysters so I was ecstatic to see them mentioned here.

I've been enjoying your blog! Very yummy! Thanks so much!!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Annie! And welcome...

It's my policy not to publish copyrighted material (and yes, I know I'm in the minority here), but I'm always happy to share recipes with readers.

I look at it like this: posting a recipe is akin to pinning it to a bulletin board, but but sharing it after a request is no different than swapping over the back fence!

I'd be happy to give you the recipe: just send an email to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com, and I'll send it to you.

Hope your husband likes them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker