Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Blog Party#15: Literary Party

.



It's that time again; time to get ready for another Blog Party, everyone's favorite web-based cocktail party.

At the time I was planning themes for future parties, I was working on my book challenge; an attempt by myself and like-minded bloggers to read as many books as we possibly can during the year.

Train of thought: Books. Food. Food in books. Not cooking-books, but books in which food, recipes, or food prep is described.

Hmmm...this could work.

Food and (good) writing just go so well together. Descriptions of Gothic feasts, romantic dinners, picnic lunches after walks in the countryside, or futuristic meal prep.

Think of books like Like Water for Chocolate and Chocolat; you can practically taste the food while reading.

Sometimes, it's just a mention. In other books, food features prominently. Matt's a fan of Jack Vance, and has told me food is a big part of Vance's writing.

"Cugel went to inspect the buffet at closer range. "I will start with a dish of these smoked oil-fish, and a salad of pepperleaf. Then this roast fowl seems eminently edible, and I will try a cut off the rare end of the joint...The garnishes are nicely turned out. Finally, a few of these pastries and a flask of the Violet Mendolence: this should suffice. No question but what Twango does well by his employees!"---Cugel: The Skybreak Spatterlight, Jack Vance

And of course, there's been a slew of food-themed crime-solving books over the past few years; Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen is a favorite of mine. There are crime-solving ladies who cook in bakeries, B&B's; all sorts of places.

So this month, grab a book. It can be your favorite book, or a book you know is chock-full of food stories.

Then...get creative! Turn those literary tales into culinary treats.

But remember: novels only! We're not turning to cookbooks here. Instead, we're interpreting dishes from the page. Recipes included in a novel are acceptable.

So, brush the dust off the bookshelves, take a trip to your local library, and read!
Once you have your idea(s), you know what to do.

No? You don't? Well, the short answer is make an appetizer and a drink (alcohol is optional), write a post, send me the link, and join the party!

Need more? Read below.




For those new to the event, Blog Party is a virtual cocktail party for food bloggers. It's a chance to make those little bites and fantastic drinks we all love, but never make. Blog Party is about taking time for us: setting aside some time to cook (which, clearly, we all love), to prepare appetizers we want to eat but never get around to. And best of all, it's about getting together, albeit via the Web, with like-minded friends.

You can read up on the inner-workings of Blog Party, as well as read up on a whole year's worth of parties, here.



Now, for the 'rules'.

What, in my opinion, qualifies as cocktail food:

  • Finger foods: anything that can be picked up, carried around and eaten with one hand...the use of the second hand as crumb catcher is perfectly acceptable

  • Dippers: vegetables, crackers, bread, chips, breadsticks and any inventive foods which are used for scooping or spreading dips and uh...spreads

  • Miniature meals: by this, I mean a normal-sized dish, cut or displayed as individual servings. A quiche, cut into small enough pieces to be eaten in less than four bites would be accepted.


All you have to do is make ****AT LEAST ONE appetizer AND cocktail**** (that's a minimum of one EACH); take some photos, and write about it. It's pretty easy, really.

So for October, pick up a book, find some inspiration, and get working on those literary-themed drinks and appetizers!

Post your dishes no later than Thursday, 19 October...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, the 21st, and I hope to see you there!



Tagged with: + + + + + + + +

6 Thoughts for food:

At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read blackberry wine ;-).

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Brilynn said...

Oooh, good theme! I'm currently reading Comfort Me With Apples by Ruth Reichl and it's full of ideas, but I might look elsewhere too, this will be a good one.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Nabeela said...

OMG!!! What a GREAT theme for the blog-party!!! Count me in this time Stephanie...and I know just which author to turn to :)

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ulrike;

I'm not familiar with that one...what's it about?

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn;

Inspiration is everywhere! I have three authors I'm turning to...it's hard to narrow it down.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you Nabeela!

Can't wait to see who you pick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker