Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Chinese Take-In

.



Maybe I grew up watching too many reruns of shows like Newhart, The Odd Couple, and Mary Tyler Moore, where often the characters would call up a restaurant and place an order for take-out, delivered. Very New York.

Where I grew up, the only thing you could get delivered was pizza. But it always seemed so glamorous, and so different. I mean, I like pizza...but it's not that exciting!

I've been tying in my attempts with our Sci-Fi Friday shows, and recently, I tried my hand at Chinese take-out.

Above, Cashew Chicken; mild, but good.



Sizzling Rice Soup, with a crunchy rice crust. I confess, I liked the crunchy rice better than the soup, but Matt ate everything!

Not much to say, beyond that. It was nice, but I think I'll keep trying to find that perfect, sitcom-style Chinese take-out.




Tagged with: + + + +

9 Thoughts for food:

At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,

I sent the following message to your gmail account on Monday. I'm sorry that you did not get it.

"I apologize for the delay. I was out of the country for the past few weeks due to unforseen family matters and only returned yesterday. I have part of my package ready and should have the rest by the end of this week for shipping on Friday. I will let you know when it goes out as well as the tracking information."


Thank you,

Sarah

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Norm Deplume said...

I think homemade Chinese food tastes better from those little cardboard boxes.


And I jsut happened upon your blog today, whilst searching for dinner ideas. I've now bookmarked it for future inspiration.

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger ilingc said...

When I was growing up in Malaysia I use to wish that our local shops would deliver them in those paper takeout boxes too. Unfortunately in those days:
1) they don't do delivery on chinese
2) they don't do paper boxes either. it's plastic bags all the way.

Where I live in Melbourne now not all the chinese takeaway shops do deliveries and only a few would do the paper boxes :(

Ps. if my mum knew I was buying chinese takeaways she'd disown me. hehe

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I watched the same shows, and what they never told you is that all of that "New York takeout" was mild, because that was the fashion back then! It took me years of experimenting to learn to make lo mein (my favorite takeout dish) that's as good as, or even better than, what I get from takeout. Keep trying -- your own homemade will always be better.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Chris said...

the chicken looks good! I saw a show that was making chinese take in (Rachel maybe?). She got some of those little chinese take out boxes (the white cardboard ones with wire handles), put some shredded napa on the bottom, and served the stir fry on top with chopsticks. It just added to the atmosphere:)

Chris
My Blog

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Robin, and welcome!

We keep talking about ordering those take-out boxes, but never get around to it. I agree; there's just something about them!

If you ever find a recipe you're intersted in, just let me know. I don't post them, but I'm always happy to share.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I-Ling;

I promise not to tell your Mom!!

Secret's safe with me.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lydia;

What's more...did we ever see the characters actually eat the food they'd ordered??!?

Oh, we are gluttons for punishment in this house...we keep working on a dish, or a cuisine, till it's right.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks!

That sounds very much like a Ray technique, indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker