Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stop by the Pie Hole (as in Shut Your)

.



Last fall, we found ourselves fairly underwhelmed by the new television schedule. More reality (which we do not watch), proceedurals, and not-very-funny sitcoms.

There were two bright spots, however...and oddly enough, both of those shows featured a character named Chuck.

From the very first time we glimpsed that promo for Pushing Daisies, we knew had to watch.

There was something about the look of the show. The boldness of the colors, the sets, and those faces! I know I'm not the only gal who immediately fell in love with Lee Pace, despite that whole being-married thing.

So we told TiVo to record the season, just in case we didn't get to the couch in time (having a small child requires a flexible schedule, you know), and planted our backsides in front of the television.

What we saw, each and every Wednesday night, was true beauty. Stories that touched the heart, while injecting just enough whimsy to keep meloncholy from setting in. Characters you can't help but love, no matter what they do. Visuals that stick with you.

I'll admit, I cried a little that first night. It's a thing with me. Usually reserved for live performances, tears appear in direct response to a strong emotional impresssion. Theater, concerts, even baseball games: as it's beginning, I cry. It's a happy cry, but it does require explaining.

Whenever I'm genuinely moved by something, all that happiness bubbles up until it spills out via the tear ducts. And Pushing Diasies left me with wet cheeks.

I love Ned, I adore Chuck (I also slightly covet her wardrobe, especially the 40's-50's inspired outfits). Olive required a bit of patience, but now I just want to hug her. Emerson's wondeful. And as I'm owned by five dogs myself, I want to take Digby home.

And the Aunts! Love the Aunts. Swoosie rocks.

It's such an incredible show, and I fear that words such as 'magical' have kept viewers at bay. It's so much more than a gimmick; it's really genius. The writing and acting and set design and music and voice-over come together to make something Great.




It's one of just a few shows we're looking forward to as the fall season begins, so when I got an email about a promotional tour for Pushing Daisies, with a mobile Pie Hole(!), I felt I had to do my part.



Hitting select cities across the United States (West Coast, I'm jealous), you can stop by, see the Pie Hole, and of course...get pie!!

See more photos from the tour here.

To help spread the word, I made Ned's Apple Pie. I confess I'm not a pie person. I never ate it growing up, and I've only been baking pies about six years. But this was for a good cause, right?

Easy recipe (the crust was from my Wartime Wednesdays cookbook), with excellent results. Surprisingly, no cinnamon. Adding it in could only make it better.

I served this up for breakfast this morning. Despite the generous size, Matt didn't leave any pie on the plate when he pushed back from the table...

If you happen to be in one of the areas the Mobile Pie Hole is visiting, do check it out and tell me about it!

And of course...Wednesday, 1 October, 8:00 PM on ABC: the new season of Pushing Daisies begins!!







Help me get through the pain of turning a year older with this month's Blog Party---we're having a Birthday Bash!

RSVP to join the fun.







Blogging by Mail is back! Sign up for blogdom's favorite global goody swap with 10 Items or Less.






Tagged with: + + + + + +

16 Thoughts for food:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Pam said...

That's awesome!! Wish the mobile Pie Hole was coming to Boston. Well, I guess that just means I'll have to make my own cup-pies...

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Iron Llama said...

It's difficult balancing the several flavors of weird and the ultimately very pleasant, innocent tone, but I think I've finally got my sound-byte description of Pushing Daisies together: Frank Capra directs a serial drama adapted from the works of Luis Borges by Tom Waits.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Judy said...

This is one of my all-time favorite shows! I was so put out when the strike took it off the air. Hmmmph.
It's the quirky sense of humor -- same writer who did Dead Like Me, another terrific show. Why do they always cancel the good ones?

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, "Pushing Daises" and "Chuck", love those shows. I just wish the pie mobile had come closer to me.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

I so LOVE Pushing Daisies and can't wait for the new season! I love the colors, the actors, the stories--it's all wonderful. I wish the mobile Piehole could float over here! ;-(
Your pie looks incredible!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Your pie looks great, I have a tree in my yard that's loaded with granny smith apples.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger MeekoRouse said...

very big fan of Pushing Daisies too! I was one of the lucky ones that got to see the Mobile Pie Hole in Anaheim,(some of my pix are on the flickr set).I know it'll be on the East Coast too but yeah.. it would have been cool if they'd gone to more places!

That pie looks great! I think that's an excellent idea for the new season! Pie party! Here's to October First!!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Nate @ House of Annie said...

Pushing Daisies is a great show and I'm glad to see it back. It kinda reminds me of "Big Fish" for some reason.

You should enter this post into the Click photo contest.

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Pam!

Yeah, it would have been nice if the Pie Hole visited more cities, and not just the big name ones. No Baltimore, or Atlanta, or anything like that.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Honey, that's an excellent way to describe it!

Now how many people got the references??

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Judy!

It is an amazing show. Luckyily, this one got a second-season pick-up.

I don't know why. I think 'good shows' often translate to 'shows not suited for the masses'. If it's really SMART, the ones living for reality shows just aren't going to watch, I'm afraid.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Mrs.L; me, too! Maybe we should organize a 'pies for the Pie Hole' day to celebrate the show's return?!

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb, how is it we only 'met' a few months ago? Clearly, we should be bestest buds.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sara, that's wonderful! My grandparents had (kind of still do, though they're looking to sell the property) a fantastic apple tree in their back yard. My Grampa grafted two or three kinds onto it, so each year, they'd be this mixture of apples...I loved the smells when Grammy would can applesauce!

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

meekorouse; how exciting!! I would love to have seen the mobile Pie Hole.

And I think that's a very good idea: show of hands? Who wants to make pies for the start of the show? I'm for it!

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Nate-and-Annie, and thank you!

What's a click photo contest??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker