Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Food 2.0-K

.


Watermelon Sate with Honey-Vinegar Dipping Sauce

From the new book, Food 2.0: Secrets from the Chef who Fed Google, by Charlie Ayers.

I admit it; I was excited to get a copy of this book. I'm pro-Google, after all.

I guess I don't really know what I expected. What I got was...hmm; words like 'ambitious' and 'self-conscious'. There are over 100 pages dedicated to instructing/admonishing the reader to buy local, organic, check the ingredient list. Go Raw.
All this before you even get to the recipes.

All wonderful, sound advice. And all things I try to carry out in my own life. But there are times when ethical/organic/green whatever isn't practical. Budget, time constraints, availability of ingredients; they all play a factor.



Thai Forbidden Rice Salad, poorly photographed


There's some really interesting-sounding recipes here. Dragon Breath Noodles, Barley Corn Salad, Lamb Korma, & Orange Fire Chicken.

But some of the ingredients can be difficult to find; no matter where we looked, habenero powder was no where to be found.



Turkey-Avocado-Carrot Wrap

There's a definite 'health-nut' vibe here. Emphasis on vegetables, fruits, and spices. Good-for-you smoothies, granola, salads, and veggie dishes.

The stuff I made; the watermelon dish was really nice. Light & refreshing. The rice, also good, but not a lot different from what we normally do with our wild rice. The wrap, again, was nice, but nothing spectacular...and really messy!

I think the book has good intentions. I think it aims high. I also think it may have over-reached just a tad...






Tagged with: + + + + + + + +

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker