Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

For a Cold Winter's Night

.




Whenever my mother-in-law has to go out of town for work, we invite my father-in-law over for dinner on Tuesday, the usual 'family' dinner night.

I didn't want to spend the entire day in the kitchen, and so picked a few simple, almost comfort-food like dishes.

First, was Ina's Salad with Warm Goat Cheese. Easy to assemble, very tasty.




Next was a dish from a new cookbook, The Glorious Soups & Stews of Italy; Potato & Pasta Soup.

A wonderful big old hug of a soup: for the meat-eaters, pancetta, carrots and scallions were cooked till 'bright', then potatoes, paprika, salt and cayenne added and cooked for a bit. Next, chicken broth and whole, peeled, tomatoes run through a food mill (mainly juice) went in. This was covered and cooked till the potatoes were tender. Next, more broth, and finally 'little' pastas were added and cooked till al dente. Take it off the heat, stir in some grated Pecorino and serve.

It was warm, and hearty, and sooo very good. I used Bacos for mine, reducing the amount of salt I added.

It was such a filling and comforting soup, and this book looks to provide many more wonderful dishes before Mother Nature finally makes up her mind about the temperature!





Just a few more days left to sign up for Blogging by Mail: Little Things Mean a Lot; over seventy signed up so far, from all over the globe...you won't to miss out!



Tagged with: + + + + + + + + + +

4 Thoughts for food:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I'll come over Tuesday nights anytime for some soup and salad. You have a lucky family!!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Joyful said...

The goat cheese salad looks amazing--thank you!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks BV; sometimes, the simplest fare can be the best, eh?

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

You're welcome, Joyful...but remember, the credit goes to Ina!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker