Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, May 09, 2005

What does the Slayer have to do with a food blog?

.

Well, she provided me with a quote:

Buffy: I can't believe you got into Oxford!
Willow: It's pretty exciting.
Oz: That's some deep academia there.
Buffy: That's where they make Gileses!
Willow: I know! I can learn, and have scones!


Ok...it's stretching. I know, I know...

Most recent breakfast food for Matt: Marbled Scones.



Deliriously easy to make. Flour and butter and buttermilk/sour cream (I never have enough of one) and salt and baking powder and vanilla (maybe something else; I don't have the recipe in front of me). Mix just until a soft dough forms. Knead briefly, pat into a round. Pour melted chocolate on top, fold over, and knead until marbled. Form a round, cut into eight pieces, bake.

Matt really liked them. He said the scone itself wasn't particularly sweet, so the chocolate really had a chance to shine.

I love it when a recipe comes together like this...fast, and delivers. Another for the 'keep' pile.

11 Thoughts for food:

At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum. I'll have to try that for Cakes. He is a very "scones" sort of guy and loves chocolate too!

Remember how I said I'd do the dulce de leche cupcakes for my birthday? Well, due to the lack of a kitchen, I didn't. What I DID do was make the grim discovery that dulce de leche, when microwaved and put in my chocolate fondue pot, makes a stellar caramel fondue. Don't say I didn't wearn you. We managed to eat an entire cake and six apples...and a whole 750 ml jar of dulce de leche, between 5 of us!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Stephanie - those scones look great!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lyn...thanks! I've sent the recipe to you.

Oooh...that's just evil. When I made the torte, I boiled two cans of condensed milk...and used just one. I have that other one kicking around.

And I do, believe it or not, own three fondue pots (people kept giving them to us!)...

However, I think that can't been earmarked for Sweetnicks' brownies!

Sweetnicks? If you'd like the recipe, let me know!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Niki said...

*smile*. It looks really good, and so tasty! But 'tis not a "real" English scone, like Buffy was referring to I am disheartened to tell you. Those are individually portioned - kind of like a cupcake size, quite tall (if they're successful)and round. You split them in the middle like an English muffin. Me - I have never been able to make a good scone! You need a real lightness and quickness in your movements. My mum would often whip up a batch on a cold Sunday afternoon after a walk - we'd sit in front of the fire and eat them with jam and cream, and a pot of really strong tea. You just can't beat memories like that.
The one time I tried making scones I tried a recipe that used lemonade (natural rising agent there - at least that was the theory)....they turned out *just* like little bullets. I could have hammered in nails with those things.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, it's alright. I know it's not authentic...but it's what's often passes for homeade scones around here. And as long as Matt eats breakfast? I'm satisfied!

I am, however, attempting crumpets for my next 'trick'...we'll see how that goes!

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Oooh! Crumpets! I'll be really interested to see how they go. I've heard of somebody making them, but that they're not so easy to do (I'm still getting over a yeast-cooking phobia).

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I've been afraid of yeast for ages. I've only recently started tackling that fear...more and more bread recipes showing up here!

I take making the crumpets as a bit of a challenge; an English friend was quite homesick, for crumpets in particular, and I offered to make some for her. She scoffed at ths suggestion, saying they were too difficult.

Well...we'll see about that!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Are crumpets available in supermarkets at all? I can't imagine a country without crumpets; in fact, I'm hankering for one right now!
My great uncle actually used to be a crumpet delivery man here in Melbourne, driving a little 'Golden Crumpets' panel van around the suburbs.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Truthfully, Niki...I don't think I've ever seen a 'live' scone in my lifetime. They most certainly don't sell them anywhere I've lived.

I suppose for us, scones are just so veddy British, you know? We are bagel people! (Taking moment to generalize and stereotype an entire nation...)

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Yes, scones and crumpets are quintessentially British (and by extent, Australian). Very Womens' Institute.
You know, I don't think I've ever tasted a 'real' American bagel. I'm sure I'd remember it if I had. Sure, I've had things that call themselves bagels, but are just imposter bread rolls in the shape of a ring. Disappointing.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

When I was in New York a couple of years ago, I really should have bought and eaten a bagel. All my life I'd heard about New York Bagels...like they were some sort of manna from heaven.

I love bagels; I've had total crap (Lender's frozen comes to mind), and some fairly decent ones (Eintstein Bros.). I've even made my own. I think it comes down to what you really like in a bagel, that determines you're preference.

I'll probably be starting on those crumpets tonight (no baseball game this evening), and I'll let you know how they turn out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker