Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

La Festa al Fresco! Basil Pasta with Mozzarella and Tomatoes

.



(our star ingredient)

I was quite flattered when Lis contacted me, and asked if I'd join La Festa al Fresco, which she and Ivonne were hosting.

I mean, it's always nice to be asked to come to a party!

They gave me lots and lots of time to work on a dish...just over three weeks notice.

So I should have had my dish all ready to go a week ago, right?

Ha!

I must have a talk with Alex's classmates, telling them they can not pass on their cold and flu germs to my son any longer. See, when they do, he 'shares' with me, and I find myself forgetting what my kitchen looks like!

Despite a never-ending cold, I was going to join this party (I've loaded up on Zicam, so you should be safe).

What Lis and Ivonne wanted was a dish that was clearly Italian, and used fresh summer ingredients.

There were so many possibilities! But for me, nothing could be more Italian than pasta, and what could be fresher than basil from my garden?

But rather than just tossing some basil onto your basic pasta, or preparing a pesto...how about if I put the basil in the pasta?!!

Brilliant.



A simple dough, made by pureeing lots and lots and lots of fresh basil with garlic, then adding eggs and olive oil, then salt and flour, till it turns into a firm dough. I also added a pinch of powdered vitamin C, to keep the green looking so gorgeous.



Did I mention this was my very first time making pasta?? Yay! I can finally cross 'make own pasta' off my list of foodie things to do. And seeing how easy it is, I have a feeling I'll be doing this more often.



The family that cooks together??



Alex helps, with Daddy's supervision of course, by dropping the pasta into the boiling water.



Less than two minutes later, fresh and home-made basil pasta.



Which I then tossed with some olive oil, and chopped tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.

A very good pasta, and a wonderful basil flavor.






Blog Party#14 is here, and this month we're having a Kid's Party! Fun, cute, dainty, gross, wacky and whimsical...your appetizers and drinks are for the little ones. Post your dishes no later than Thursday, 21 September...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, the 23rd, and I hope to see you there!





Tagged with: + + + + + + +

12 Thoughts for food:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger Lis said...

Seriously, Stephanie? I have NEVER seen a more gorgeous pasta! I am blown away by the color, truly! I can just imagine the fresh vibrant taste of it as well.. wow.. just.. wow!

This is what you can do while sick? I bow to you! Fantastic dish.. thank you so very much for joining us! I hope you are feeling better.. but if not, I'll bring plenty of orange juice and kleenex to the Festa! ;)

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an incredible dish! I just love that basil pasta and can only imagine how delicious it was. Well done! And thank you so much for coming to the festa!

 
At 3:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just seems wrong - I mean do colds spike your creativity or what! That is gorgeous! I think that was brilliant.
You say making the pasta was easy. I keep putting it off.
You rock!!!
The start of school is such a drag with those shared germs.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Kudos to you Stephanie, for making an incredible looking pasta! It's something I mean to try making too, but haven't gotten around to - yet. I will! Maybe my cold will help me get there...;-)

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Karen Baking Soda said...

Yes, nów I'm jealous! What a greatlooking vibrant green pasta. Like some people ;) others are having a birthday this month too... I'm wishing for a pasta machine, I'll come to you for help!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Lis!

Matt and I have found that adding just a teeny pinch of Vitamin C powder will prevent greens from going black. We've used it in guacamole, too...it really works.

Oh, yeah...I'm too miserable to sleep, so I may as well cook!

Glad you liked it...and I'll take you up on that offer of OJ!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Ivonne!

I just love the green-ness of it, don't you?

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Tanna;

Funny!

The pasta really was simple: dough made in the food processor, a little kneading, and then it goes through the pasta machine (many, many, times). That easy!

Aw...thanks.

Yeah, I'm not enjoying my Alex-free days as much, what with the coughing and constant tissue-grabbing.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Zarah...it was a perfect way to use up some of the massive amounts of basil growing in the garden...in fact, I'm planning to make a whole bunch more, and freeze it so Matt has more for the winter months!

You're sick, too? Poor thing!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Baking Soda;

Happy (early/late) birthday to you! Virgo's rock.

Hope you get it.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I'm very impressed. And even more impressed that you made it when you were sick.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Kalyn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker