Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, January 05, 2007

New Zealand and Narnia

.



I've had a chance to meet some wonderful people through blogging, and specifically, through Blogging by Mail.

One of the uber-sweet ones is Morven, who sent me a treat I'd dreamed of trying since I was a child.

Turkish Delight.

Those outside the US might not think Turkish Delight such a big deal, but you really don't find this here.

Plus, I began reading the Chronicles of Narnia when I was nine or so, and couldn't help but wonder about this (apparently) amazing confection. A candy so fantastic, an endless supply was a fair trade for your siblings (then again, when you're young, you'd trade your brothers and sisters for just about anything!).

Years later, I was told Turkish Delight was this icky, super-sweet, fruity candy, and my heart sank.

How could that be used as bargaining tool? It didn't make sense.

But Morven told me about a company in New Zealand; one that was making it traditionally, by hand. That she'd heard only good things about it.

And oh, yes...would I be interested in trying it?

Heck, yeah!

I'm made of strong stuff. I waited till Matt came home from work to open the box itself.

But once we had a few moments to ourselves (rare and precious as they are), I slid the box out of it's cover to find a square of white.

Peeling back the papers, and dusting off my clothes (naturally, I was wearing black), I found this snow-covered gorgeousness.



Morven sent the mixed box, and the very first piece we tried was mint.

And you could tell! Oh, could you ever. You could taste the mint. Smell the mint. Oh, my...

It was sweet. But not too sweet. It was chewy. But not too chewy.

It was, as I said to Matt, considerably more understandable why Edmond was willing to sell out his family for a treat like this!

Thank you, Morven, for being so sweet and thoughtful. And to my sisters...watch out!




This month, we're keeping things Black & White.

Our canapes, our drinks; everything in Black & White.

The party is Saturday, 20 January; please 'RSVP' by Thursday, 18 January, with your entries. (thehappysorceress at gmail dot com)

For more information about Blog Party, please visit the 'help' page here.

Hope to see you there!







Tagged with: + + + +

11 Thoughts for food:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Ravi said...

Stephanie, the Turkish delight is very similar to an Indian dish by name "Halwa". Ofcourse, you have variations in this too but the most common ingredient is wheat (infact milk of wheat) and the making process is quite tedious and the taste is awesome.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ravi...thank you!

We have a wonderful little Indian store we frequent; I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

sounds yummy, and Morven is very sweet that way. she is always sending me little treats. :)

the wikipedia entry for Turkish Delight also compares it to what we have here in the US, applets and cotlets.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I had "real" Turkish Delight once, when I was about 12. It was the most wonderful thing. I'll never forget it.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can find Turkish Delight in Greek/Mediterranean food stores too! TD has always been a favorite of my grandmother's (I think this candy was a bigger seller in America in the 1920s and 30s, although she did have one English parent--and Delight is big in England and its former colonies). Ironically we just watched "Narnia" the movie the other day with its Turkish Delight references! Enjoy--I think my favorite is the rose flavor.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More thoughts on Turkish Delight--did you know that Aplets and Cotlets (a soft candy available in the Western U.S.) is based on rahat locum aka Turkish Delight? If any of your readers are ever in Cashmere, Washington I would heartily recommend the free factory tour--you get to walk through the candy kitchen (my own personal fantasy!) and have as many samples as you want...
Background:
http://www.libertyorchards.com/newabout2.asp
Online factory tour:
http://www.libertyorchards.com/newtour.asp

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great discovery, one big thing I get from reading blogs. Thanks Stephanie!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Barbie...Morven is very sweet, isn't she?

Yeah...see, I have NO idea what applets and cotlets are!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sara, I can now understand what made it so unforgettable! Lovely stuff, that Turkish Delight.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ooh...Katherine; that sounds fantastic! Matt's brother and his wife live in Portland, and do a lot of traveling, but then again, they're not quite the foodies we are. Plus, she's on bedrest for the next six months...unlikely she'll be popping into candy kitchens any time soon!

But thanks...it's something to think about in the future.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

No kidding, Tanna...I learn about all sorts of neat stuff through other bloggers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker