Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Circa 1973

.

Some years ago, I came into possession of some wonderfully funky recipe cards, courtesy of the good folks at Archie McPhee.



A pack of...oh, a dozen or so cards, in that tell-tale late sixties to mid-seventies photography (it's the color, man...it's the color!). Potato chips are used often, as well as some other questionable foods (Spam is not an ingredient I recommend).

But, they're just so...neat! I went about trying to get all fifteen sets in the series.

Somehow, I was left with just fourteen. Duplicates of many other numbers, but never that elusive fifteenth set.

So finally, this weekend, I sent an email off to McPhee, asking about the cards.

Monday I learned that they do not, in fact, have that final set! Drats!

So, if anyone out there happens to have the cards from set fifteen of The Complete Family Recipe Card Series Collection...let's talk, ok?

9 Thoughts for food:

At 3:46 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Can't help you there, but I laughed in semi-recognition as we had a similar set of recipe cards here in Australia. My mum had the little beige plastic card holder and all to go with them. I imagine lots of countries went through this phase.
No doubt you've seen this site?
http://www.lileks.com/institute/index.html
Check out the gallery of regrettable food for a BIG laugh (also the grooviest motel in Wisconsin, and the Dorcus collection of men's fashion. This is one of my very favourite websites!)

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

Ooh Ooh Recipe cards. [Head explodes with joy] I love them. I have to take some pics of mine.

Niki I know exactly the ones you mean, I might have to nick them off my friend's mum for posterity's sake.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki, this is, I'm sure, just one of a couple hundred recipe collections printed here in the States. I think I'm so taken with these because they're so darn hideous-looking!

And yes, I'm quite familiar with that site...it's a good one.

Anthony; is it just me, or does your head spin and explode a lot???

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Meat and gelatin...a combo I've never quite understood! Yet, old cooking sources are rampant with recipes for them. Shudder...

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

I tend to be disappointed if it doesn't happen at least once a day.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Anthony; that clears things up considerably!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Something dirty said...

I have series 1 & 5! My coworker gave me both when she recieved her accordion shipments! Great blog. I'm not much of a cook, but I enjoy reading recipes.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

That's so funny...the recipes are pretty funky, aren't they? Still, they give us a glimpse of Americana.

Hey...I like your tastes in films!

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Something dirty said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker